1. The countrywide lockdown in containment zones has been extended till June 30, while hospitality services, Religious places, hotels and shopping malls will be allowed to open from June 8
2. The country has been under a lockdown since March 25 to contain the spread of coronavirus. But it has infected over 1.7 lakh people as on Saturday and killed nearly 5,000.
3. Mann Ki Baat episode 65: PM Modi will address the nation on 31 May 2020 @ 11.00 AM – incidentally also the last day of the lockdown 4,0.
4. Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Saturday announced a four-week extension of the coronavirus lockdown till June 30.
5. PM Modi on Saturday shared a document with the people detailing the ‘vikas yatra’ or glimpses of development, empowerment and service during his government’s second term.
6. Centre on Saturday said it would arrange special trains to facilitate the return of labourers to their workplaces, following concerns raised by industries regarding shortage of labour hitting production and logistics.
7. Bollywood Superstar Salman Khan has donated one lakh hand sanitisers to the Mumbai Police, who are at the frontline in the fight against coronavirus pandemic
8. Maharashtra government has made spitting, smoking and consumption of tobacco products in public punishable offences in the state, which has reported the highest number of COVID-19 cases in the country so far.
9. 1989-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Sanjay Kundu for the post of Himachal’s director general of police (DGP)
10. Two unidentified terrorists were killed in an encounter with the security forces in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday,
11. Karnataka government on Saturday eased the norm of curfew on Sundays while retaining the order of lockdown from 7 pm to 7 am in view of coronavirus.
12. In the name of Shramik Express, the railways is running “Corona Express”, said West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday while alleging that social distancing is not being maintained in special trains transporting migrant workers and other people to their homes.
13. Union Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal announced that the universities will be conducting only the final year examination this year. First and second year students will be promoted will not be sitting for an exam but will be promoted based on internal assessments
14. Indian Railways to start 200 trains from Monday: Indian Railways has already extended the advance reservation period from 30 days to 120 days for all 230 special trains
Only people with confirmed and valid tickets will be allowed to enter the stations
15. Astrologers predict not much respite from Covid until September
16. Union health ministry said on Saturday, as the country’s COVID-19 death toll climbed to 4,971 and the total cases rose to 1,73,763.
1. Indian and Chinese troops remain engaged in a tense border standoff, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Saturday asserted that the government will not allow India’s pride to be hurt under any circumstances even as he said bilateral talks were on at military and diplomatic levels to resolve the row.
2. Air India flight from Delhi to Moscow was asked to return midway on Saturday after its ground team realised that one of the pilots onboard the plane tested positive for coronavirus