*Today’s top news:. 09 Jan*
1. *The 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention, is being organized on 9th January 2021,* (PBD) Convention is the flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs and provides an important platform to engage and connect with the overseas Indians. The theme of 16th PBD Convention 2021 is “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
2. *An eighth round of talks between the centre and farmer leaders protesting the agriculture laws was held on Friday* but it failed to break a months-long deadlock between the parties, who remain divided on two key issues – the repeal of the laws and a legal guarantee for MSP.
3. *The next round of talks will take place on January 15* , less than two weeks before the farmers take out a tractor rally – on Republic Day – to enter Delhi.
4. *No major progress in eighth round of talks till now.* If talks fail, farmers will go ahead with the tractor rally on January 26. Farmers want states to bring in their own separate laws.
5. *Rain In Mumbai, Met Forecasts Wet Weather In Maharashtra Next 2-3 Days*
6. Five people have died and at least seven have been hospitalised after consuming toxic liquor in Jeet Garhi village in Bulandshahr.
7. *The first Ekadashi of 2021, Saphala Ekadashi, is on January 9* : Saphala Ekadashi is the first of the 24 Ekadashi days in the year. The word ‘Saphala’ means ‘success’ and devotees observe Saphala Ekadashi to be successful, enjoy prosperity, abundance and good fortune.
8. The ministry of home affairs announced that a panel has been set up under the chairmanship of Kishan Reddy to find solutions on the issues related to language, culture and conservation of land in the union territory of Ladakh due to developmental activities .
9. *Deaths of several crows in a park in Delhi Mayur Vihar locality.* The investigation comes at a time when some states like Haryana and Kerala have reported avian flu and culled hundreds of chicken and ducks to control the disease’s spread. Over the past 3-4 days, around 100 crows have died.
10. *The Punjab Chief Minister Amrendra Singh announced a slew of welfare schemes* . He also launched a scheme to provide free sanitary pads to high school and college girls. Also he launched the Basera program to give property rights to slum dwellers.
11. *World first double stack long haul 1.5 km long container train in India* Through video-conferencing, PM Modi also flagged off the world’s first double-stack long-haul 1.5-km-long container train hauled by electric traction from New Ateli-New Kishangarh.The New Rewari-New Madar section of the WDFC is situated in Haryana..
12. *Telangana High Court gets first woman chief justice* : Justice Hima Kohli was sworn.
13. *The Jammu and Kashmir cadre of IPS, IAS and Indian Forest Service (IFoS) has been merged with the Arunachal, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre.*
14. *PM Modi on Friday condoled the death of Chitra Ghosh* , niece of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. “Professor Chitra Ghosh made pioneering contributions to academics and community service. She was 90.
15. *The Air India Express has become the first airline in India to use robotic technology to clean and disinfect the interiors of aircrafts using an ultraviolet Robotic device* . “A UV (ultraviolet) robotic device fitted with UV disinfection lamping system. The technology has been tested and approved by NABL (National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration).
16. *Private carrier IndiGo will resume direct flights between Kolkata and Shillong from February 1* with the Meghalaya government reopening the state for tourists after remaining closed for almost 10 months due to COVID-19, Airports Authority of India (AAI) said.
17. *Union Education Minister Ramesh pokhriyal nishank inaugurated* at virtual International Akhand conference *EDUCON 2020.* Theme: envisioning education for transforming youth to restore global peace. The conference is organised by Central University of Punjab and global Educational Research Association .
18. *Schools across Odisha re-opened their classrooms on Friday to students who would shortly be appearing for their board examination* Social distance is made in classrooms.
19. *Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut and her sister were questioned for two hours at the Bandra police station in Mumbai in a sedition case that has been filed against them.* The Bombay High Court, which has granted them interim protection from arrest. The court will now take up the matter on January 11.
20. *The Defence Ministry will sign a $2.5-billion deal with Airbus in the next few months for the purchase of 56 C-295 transport aircraft for the Indian Air Force.*
21. *The Indian Air Force transport planes to supply coronavirus vaccines to distant parts of India* . This would include the C-130J and Antonov-32 cargo planes.
22. *The Indian Army would vacate Kargil lower plateau, also called Khurbathang Plateau of Kargil* . It will help in establishing a new and well-planned township in the Kargil region.
23. *Coronavirus Cases* :
1. *Air India Flight With 246 From UK Lands In Delhi Amid New Strain Worry* : 30 flights will operate every week – 15 each by Indian and UK carriers. India had suspended flights to and from UK on December 23
82 people have tested positive in India for the new UK variant.
2. *Passengers arriving from the UK will be sent to seven days of institutional quarantine* before home isolation even if they test negative for the coronavirus, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said.
3. Emmanuel Bonne, the Diplomatic Advisor to the French President, called on PM Modi on Friday and discussed wide-ranging bilateral as well as global issues.
4. *Chinmayee Awasthy (23) has done Solan proud by bagging a scholarship for a doctoral programme from Belgium-based Ku Leuven University, ranked 45th globally.* She will pursue research on human fungal pathogens with a focus on candida species