1. *The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by the PM Modi has approved the Minimum Support Prices (MSPs) for milling copra and ball copra.* *The govt has increased the MSP of copra by ₹375 from 2020.* Thus, the Copra would cost ₹10,335 per quintal and contributes in boosting the farmers’ income.
2. *The West Bengal Transport Corporation has launched the First Young Readers’ Boat Library* . The library has been launched in collaboration with a heritage book store. It has been launched on a boat making it first of its kind initiative. *The boat library will cruise on the Hooghly river.*
3. *Food served in parliament canteens for MPs and others will become more expensive, as the subsidy being given out for it has been stopped.* After years of hiccups in efforts to end the subsidy at the parliament canteen which offered dishes like Hyderabad Mutton Biryani at Rs 65 and boiled vegetables at Rs 12, those entrusted with the unappetising task have prevailed. New prices announced this week show most items will be sold at par with market rates. A roti will cost Rs 3, a vegetarian meal Rs 100, and a non-vegetarian lunch buffet Rs 700. The Mutton Biryani will now come in at Rs 150 and the British heirloom of boiled vegetables Rs 50.
4. *The farm unions called off their scheduled march to the Parliament on February 1 in protest against the three farm laws.* Addressing a press conference at the Singhu border, Bhartiya Kisan Union (R) leader Balbir S Rajewal explained that this decision was taken in the wake of the violence that took place during the tractor rally on Republic Day. He also announced that the protesting farmers will observe a one-day fast on January 30 besides holding public rallies on the same day.
5. *Declared as an absconder by the police, IPS officer Arvind Sen surrendered before a Lucknow court on Wednesday morning in a criminal case related to duping a Madhya Pradesh businessman.*
The court has remanded him to judicial custody till February 9.
6. *Students of Sri Shakthi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore, have designed and developed a satellite at a cost of Rs 2.5 crore.* It would be inaugurated by chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) Dr R Sivan on January 28.
7. *The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Wednesday urged the Bombay High Court to reject the plea for bail on medical grounds filed by poet-activist Varavara Rao,* arrested in the Elgar-Parishad-Maoist links case, arguing that his present health condition is stable.
8. *Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister Lakshman Savadi said Mumbai should be a union territory.*
9. *A decades-old border dispute between Maharashtra and Karnataka spun off into firestorm of political bickering on Wednesday with claims and counterclaims between the two states* . Hitting back at Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray for raising the issue at a public event with a demand for the disputed areas to be carved out into a union territory till differences are resolved, Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister Lakshman Savadi said that Mumbai should be included in his state or at least be devolved into a federally governed province as well.
10. *The government plans to impose green tax on old polluting vehicles soon in a bid protect environment and curb pollution.* Vehicles like strong hybrids, electric vehicles and those running on alternate fuels like CNG, ethanol and LPG will be exempted while the revenue collected through the green tax will be utilised for tackling pollution, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways said
11. *A Chinese national has been arrested by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) of Uttar Pradesh Police for allegedly transferring huge amount of funds through online bank accounts opened with SIM cards procured against fake identity documents* . “The arrested Chinese national has been identified as Sun Ji Ying alias Devid. He was arrested from Gurgaon on January 26,”
12. *Over 100 people, including security personnel and schoolteachers protesting their termination, were injured in Agartala on Wednesday* , after the police used force to thwart the protesters’ attempt to picket outside Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Deb’s official residence. Over 200 protesters were arrested.
13. *Two farmer unions break away from farmers’ agitation* : All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee and the BKU (Bhanu) quitting the ongoing protests and announcing their own plans to struggle for justice.
14. *Supreme Court stays Bombay High Court’s ‘skin-to-skin-contact’ order*: The Supreme Court on Wednesday stayed a Bombay High Court order acquitting a man accused of child abuse on the grounds that groping a child’s breasts without ‘skin-to-skin contact’ didn’t amount to ‘sexual assault’ under the POCSO Act
15. *Actor-activist Deep Sidhu, whom farmers have accused of being responsible for the unprecedented violence during the Republic Day tractor rally, has been named in a case filed by the Delhi Police*. A section of farm leaders have accused Punjabi actor and activist Deep Sidhu of instigating the clashes and planting a Sikh religious flag at the Red Fort. “Deep Sidhu was boycotted by Sanyukt Kisan Morcha months ago because of his separatist leanings.
16. *The Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notices on a plea filed by the Director, Producer, Writer and Actor of the web series Tandav* seeking for clubbing and transferring of criminal proceedings which have been initiated against them in various cities for allegedly hurting religious sentiments.
17. *Union Budget 2021:* *Developments around LAC, LOC warrant hike in allocation in defence outlay, Year 2020 saw a remarkable beginning with the 11th edition of Defence Expo at Lucknow from 5-8 February 2020.* Over 200 partnerships involving the signing of memorandum of understandings (MoUs), transfer of technology and product launches took place on the third day of DefExpo-2020 at a ceremony called Bandhan.
18. *Air Commodore Vishnubhotla Nagaraj Srinivas awarded Vishisht Seva Medal Air (VSM) by President Ram Nath Kovind on Republic Day, an Air Force officer from Telangana* is the first officer from Telangana to become Air Vice-Marshal and receive VSM.
19. *Four Army soldiers injured in grenade attack in J&K’s Kulgam district* The injured soldiers have been admitted to a hospital. “Terrorists lobbed grenade on Army’s Road Opening Party during the sanitisation.
20. *Indian forces facing China’s aggression in Ladakh will shortly receive indigenous attack helicopters which have proven their worth in high altitude areas* during recent tests, adding muscle to the airborne fleet that currently consists of AH 64E Apache choppers.
21. *Captain Preeti Choudhary was the only woman Army officer to lead a contingent this year in the iconic Republic Day parade at New Delhi.* It was a debut for Schilika weapon but not for Captain Preeti as she had last marched on Rajpath 2016 celebrations of the Republic Day as a cadet with National Cadet Corps (NCC). Speaking about historic feat as the only woman contingent commandant, Choudhary said that she got the opportunity, not due to her gender but because the upgraded weapon system belonged to her regiment.
22. *Over 19.5 Lakh People Vaccinated Against Covid In India*
23. *Coronavirus Cases:*
1. *National Security Adviser Ajit Doval on Wednesday held a telephonic talk with his American counterpart Jake Sullivan during which he underlined that India and the US were uniquely positioned to work closely on regional and global issues,* including combating the scourge of terrorism and ensuring peace and stability in the Indo-Pacific and beyond.
2. *Reports have emerged that China has increased its troop strength along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh breaking its agreement made at the sixth round of talks on September 21.* In December, videos emerged of Chinese civilian vehicles transgressing into the Demchok area also in Ladakh.
3. *Defence ties with India to get ‘new dimension* ’ — Bangladesh contingent leader after R-Day march, *said Colonel Mohammad Mohtashim Hyder Chowdhury, leader of the Bangladesh contingent participated at Republic Day Parade*
4. *Three French Rafale multi-combat fighter jets that took off from France on Wednesday in a non-stop flight to India landed at an IAF base.* The jets flew over 7000km with in-flight refuelling. IAF deeply appreciates the tanker support provided by UAE Air Force.
5. *The Union Government has extended the existing restrictions on flights between India and the United Kingdom till February 14 in view of the new COVID-19 variant* .