Today's top news
*Today's top news: 03 Jan 2021*
1. *Karnataka Allows Shops, Other Businesses To Remain Open 24x7* :
All shops and commercial establishments employing ten or more people in Karnataka are now allowed to operate on a 24x7 basis, the state government said on Saturday.
2. *Cooking gas LPG price of non subsidised 14 Kg cylinder was on January 1 kept unchanged by the oil marketing companies* though the price of 19 kg commercial LPG saw an upward revision. According to the IOC website, the new rate of 19 kg LPG cylinder in Delhi is now Rs 1349 per cylinder as against the previous price of Rs 1332. Prices have been increased by Rs 17 more per cylinder.
3. *West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's close aide Manik Majumdar* , who handled her and Trinamool Congress' operations at her Kalighat office for almost four decades, *passed away on Saturday* (January 2) morning.
4. *Farmers protest updates: Will hold tractor parade in Delhi on Republic Day,*
5. *Puducherry has bagged the award for the ‘Best Performing Union Territory in India for Implementing the PMAY’ (Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana),* an affordable housing scheme run by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
6. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) on Saturday (January 2, 2021) deployed 60 personnel and the Indian Air Force (IAF) sent three more helicopters to contain *the spread of wildfire at the Dzukou valley on the Manipur-Nagaland border.*
7. *ISRO Chief K Sivan gets one-year extension as Department of Space secretary till 2022*
8. *The Assam government will distribute around 22,250 scooties (two-wheelers) to girl students free-of-cost to promote girls` education in the state* , Assam Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said.
9. *IIM Indore announced the CAT 2020 result on Saturday (January 2, 2021) at 5 PM.* For the candidates who appeared for the the examination which was held on November 29, the scorecards has been made available at the candidate’s portal.
The CAT 2020 exam result was declared online at IIM's official website - iimcat.ac.in.
10. *A Mumbai-based standup comedian Munawar Faruqui, along with four other event organisers, has been arrested for allegedly insulting religious beliefs* and also Union Home Minister Amit Shah *during a New Year show in Indore.* The incident came to light when a group of Hindutva activists attended the event to monitor it and brought the proceedings to a halt when the artiste made the allegedly unwelcome references. Munawar Faruqui was a serial offender, who in the past has often denigrated Hindu gods-goddesses at his shows.
11. *Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat on Saturday visited several air bases located in forward areas near the Line of Actual Control in Arunachal Pradesh* and took stock of India's overall security scenario in the eastern sector.
12. *Six civilians were injured in a grenade attack by terrorists in the Tral area of Pulwama district* in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday.
13. *Surgeon Vice Admiral Rajat Datta took over as the director general of the Armed Forces Medical Services,* as India’s top military doctor.
14. *BSF To Train 2 Indian Dog Breeds For Border Patrolling.*
15. *Former Union home minister Buta Singh died at the AIIMS* on Saturday morning. He was 86.The senior Congress leader was in a coma since October last year.
16. *The COVID-19 vaccination drive hasn't begun yet but the politics around it has already started.* Hours after the Samajwadi Party (SP) president Akhilesh Yadav said that he won't get vaccinated as he can't trust the BJP's vaccine, former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah made a statement that he will happily roll up his sleeve to get a coronavirus vaccine.
17. *The Meteorological Department issued a yellow weather warning for heavy snowfall in Himachal Pradesh on Tuesday.* The Shimla MeT Centre forecast rainfall in plains and low hills, and rain and snowfall in mid and high hills of the state from January 3 to 5 and on January 8.
18. *Coronavirus Cases:10,324,539*
1. *After leasing two predator drones from the US, the Indian Navy is now going to urgently acquire 10 shipborne drones for enhancing its surveillance capabilities in the Indian Ocean Region,* for which it has received the government approval recently.
2. *Mumbai attack mastermind and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operations commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi was arrested* on Saturday in Pakistan on terror financing charges.
3. *Flights from India to UK to resume from January 6, Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri clarifies*
4. The National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, India has taken suo motu cognizance of media reports on stranded Indian sailors onboard MV Anastasia and MV Jag Anand in Chinese waters for over 146 days and their difficulties without any rescue mission insight. It has observed that the contents of media reports, if true, amount to a violation of human rights.
5. *Exercise Skyros:* *India-France to undertake joint exercise with Rafales this month Come January 19* and four Rafale fighters of the French Air Force will land in India to take part in joint exercises with the Indian Air Force's Golden Arrow Squadron with was resurrected with the induction of the Rafale fighter jets in September last year.
6. *Govt pushes 6 new road projects in Arunachal as tension with China continues.*
7. The health ministry made an announcement saying all *The passengers traveling from the united kingdom to India are going to be subjected to mandatory self-paid RT-PCR tests at the airport* .