Today's top news
*Today's top news: 08 Jan 2021*
1. *Nationwide, the dry-run will be held at various session sites of 736 districts across 33 states and union territories, including the national capital, today*
2. *Telangana urges To to allocate additional doses of Covid vaccine.*
3. *Delhi will witness the third dry mock-drill on January 8 at various hospitals* in the city for smooth implementation of coronavirus vaccination process.
4. *Will farmers’ protest be a problem like Tablighi Jamaat, Supreme Court asks Centre* : Chief Justice of India Sharad A. Bobde on Thursday voiced the Supreme Court’s apprehension that mass gatherings of protesting farmers will lead to a “problem similar to the Tablighi Jamaat congregation” in March last year amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
5. *Tractor marches from protest sites of Singhu, Tikri and Ghazipur borders and Haryana's Rewasan as the agitating unions asserted they would not accept the Centre's offer of amendments to the three farm laws.* According to the protesting farm unions, these marches were a "rehearsal" for their proposed January 26 "Kisan parade" to the national capital.
6. *The 16th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention, is being organized on 9th January 2021* , despite the ongoing Covid pandemic. The Convention will be held in virtual format, as were the PBD Conferences held recently in the run up to the Convention. The theme of 16th PBD Convention 2021 is "Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat".
7. *Centre has decided to form a committee to protect the language, culture and land of Ladakh and ensuring citizen's participation in the Union Territory's development.*
8. *The Minister of State for animal husbandry Sanjeev Baliyan confirmed that five states have been affected by bird flu.* The states are Rajasthan, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Kerala and Madhya Pradesh.
9. *In Maharashtra* three parties of the Maha Vikas Aghadi government, the *renaming of Aurangabad to 'Sambhajinagar' has become the latest one.* Intensifying the row, CM Uddhav Thackeray's official Twitter handle - referred to the city as 'Sambhajinagar' while announcing an official cabinet decision.
10. *In Punjab Capt Amarinder Singh-led Congress government has decided to hold the elections to the 118 civic bodies in the third week of February.*
11. *The anti-terror probe agency, NIA, on Thursday, conducted searches at six different locations in Jammu, and Punjab, in connection with the seizure of about 61 kgs of heroin—worth more than Rs 50 crores*
12. Haryana (DGP) Director General of Police Manoj Yadava, who was due to return to central deputation, has been given extension "beyond" February, 20, 2021.
13. *Bird flu scare in Karnataka :* Amid the bird flu (H5N8) outbreak in Kerala, six crows have died in the border district of Dakshina Kannada in Karnataka and their samples had been sent for tests to ascertain the cause of death.
14. Renowned fashion designer and the founder of the eponymous label famous for its sarees, Satya Paul passed away at the age of 79. The condolences from the fashion industry also poured in.
15. *Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' announced that the Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced 2021 for IIT Admission to be held on July 3.* the IIT Kharagpur will conduct the JEE Advanced 2021 exam.
16. Delhi govt orders re-opening of medical colleges with immediate effect as COVID-19 cases decline.
17. *The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) filed a case against actor Sonu Sood for allegedly transforming six-storey Shakti Sagar residential building in Juhu into a hotel* . The complaint was filed at the Juhu police station under the Maharashtra Region and Town Planning Act.
18. *A contingent of the NSG ”black cat” commandos and a tableau of the country”s largest paramilitary force CRPF will be part of the forthcoming Republic Day parade in the national capital*
19. *The Indian Army* personnel will be *getting* *high mobility vehicles soon and all of them will be prepared by BEML* . The value of the vehicles would be Rs 758 crores.
20. *Air Chief Marshal R K S Bhadauria assured Arunachal Pradesh of all support, including providing defence pilots to meet the shortage for operating fixed-wing civilian aircraft in the state.*
21. The Indian Army will initiate disciplinary proceedings against a serving soldier who had participated in a farmers’ protest in Bathinda last month, a development which has led to local commanders sensitising the troops on the dos and don’ts.
22. *Coronavirus Cases:*
1. *Nirav Modi's Sister Shares Details On Assets Worth Rs 579 Crore* :
Purvi Modi has given details about the bank accounts and assets in her name which includes a flat in Mumbai worth 19.5 crore, two flats in New York worth Rs 220 crore, two accounts in Swiss banks with Rs 270 crore, one flat in London worth Rs 62 crore and a bank account in Mumbai with Rs 1.92 crore.
2. *External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar has said that India will stand by its commitment to Neighbourhood First Policy when it comes to supplying the vaccines to fight Covid.*
3. *French President's top advisor extends support to India at UNSC*: French President Emmanuel Macron's top diplomatic advisor who is in India for talks has assured his country's support to New Delhi at the United Nations Security Council and has highlighted how Paris did not allow China "play..games".
4. *Air India’s longest direct flight between Bengaluru and San Francisco to have all-women cockpit crew starts from 9 January 2021*