Today's top news
1. *PM Modi to launch 'World's biggest COVID vaccination drive' today at 10:30 AM* : The government has already purchased 1.1 crore COVISHIELD vaccine doses and 55 lakh COVAXIN vaccine shots - aiming to vaccinate 3 crore frontline warriors, in the first phase.
2. *The Centre's 10th round of talks with farm unions concluded with a detailed discussion on all farm laws especially the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act.* The next round of talks will be held at noon on January 19.
3. *State-of-the-Art Simulator building inaugurated at Delhi Metro Rail Academy* : a new four-storey simulator building was inaugurated on Friday in the DMRA premises by Dr Mangu Singh Managing Director/DMRC.
4. *Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has said that the government is ready to hold talks with farmers' leaders* with an open mind and hoped for positive discussions.
5. *The third phase of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY 3.0) launched in 600 districts across all states of India.*
6. *Construction Work Of New Parliament Building Begins* : The new Parliament building will have a triangular shape and is expected to be completed by the 75th anniversary of India's independence in 2022.
7. *President Ram Nath Kovind on Friday donated over Rs 5 lakh for the construction of Ram temple at Ayodhya on behalf of his family* .
8. *The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has decided to offer ‘Tatkal’ booking facility to those consumers who have only one gas cylinder.* Under this facility, consumers will get the gas cylinder delivery at their doorstep within two hours of booking.
9. Former Gujarat cadre Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Arvind Kumar Sharma was named as one of the four BJP candidates for the biennial elections to the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council (Vidhan Parishad). The party announced the first list of four candidates on Friday. The elections for 12 seats of the Council will be held on January 28.
10. *The Union Science and Technology minister Dr Harsh Vardhan laid the foundation stone of CSIR- National Institute of Science communication and policy research in New Delhi.*
11. *Himachal decides to reopen government schools, colleges* after decline in COVID cases
Summer closing schools to begin on Feb 1; winter closing schools from Feb 15. . *All the government colleges would be opened for regular classes from February 8, 2021*
12. *The 51st edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) is set to start in Goa on Saturday.* Bangladesh will be the country in focus and the festival will pay tribute to legendary filmmaker Satyajit Ray. The opening ceremony will be held at Dr. Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Indoor Stadium at Panaji in Goa.
13. An offensive swarm drone system that simulated taking down a range of targets, ranging from tanks, terror camps, helipads and fuel dumps demonstrated at the annual Army Day parade in Delhi.
14. *More strength to the Indian Air Force; 83 indigenous fighters will soon join IAF* : The Light Combat Aircraft `Tejas’ Mk 1A, a potent lightweight fighter is an excellent replacement for the venerable MiG-21 fighter which the IAF fielded for over 5 decades and is a capable 4th Gen aircraft.
15. *Army Day: Tri-Services Chiefs pay tributes at National War Memorial, Delhi:* CDS Bipin Rawat, Army Chief General MM Naravane, IAF Chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria, and Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh pay tributes at National War Memorial.
16. *Coronavirus Cases:*
1. *Don't Make Mistake Of Testing Patience': Army Chief's Message To China* : In an address at the Army Day parade, Gen Naravane said a "befitting response" was given to the "conspiracy" to make unilateral changes on the border and that the sacrifice of the Galwan heroes in eastern Ladakh will not go waste.
2. The Indian-American diaspora is decorating the front of the US Capitol building with thousands of kolam tiles to welcome Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Biden and Harris will be sworn-in as President and Vice-President on January 20.
3. *Nepal's Foreign Minister Pradeep Kumar Gyawali on Friday said that "No change in position on Gorkha recruitment in Indian Army"*
4. *The Nepal Govt approved the emergency use of 'Covishield' vaccine, which is being manufactured by the Serum Institute of India (SII).* The decision for the usage of the vaccine was taken by the Department of Drug Administration (DDA).