Today's top news
1. *Lockdown anniversary* : March 24, a date that has gone down in the history as reportedly India's first-ever complete nation-wide lockdown due to a pandemic, COVID-19, a virus that took a toll on everyone's life across the world. The Coronavirus-induced lockdowns brought everyone's life to a standstill and nobody would have ever thought that they would be confined to their four-walls in their house.
2. *Maratha quota constitutional: Centre backs Maharashtra government in Supreme Court* : Maharashtra has the legislative competence for granting reservation quota to Marathas and its decision is Constitutional as the 102nd amendment does not denude a state of the power to declare its list of Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC), the Centre told the Supreme Court on Tuesday.
3. *The Karnataka government on Monday decided to make a negative COVID-19 report not older than 72 hours mandatory for travellers from Punjab and Chandigarh.*
4. *The health Ministry has decided to increase the interval between first and second doses of Covishield to up to eight weeks in the ongoing covid-19 vaccination drive*
5. *BJP has swept local body elections in Goa. In Panaji Corporation, the party has won 25 of 30 wards.*
6. Twelve women and a man were killed after the auto-rickshaw carrying them collided with a speeding bus in Old Chawni area in Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh on Tuesday. The accident occurred around 5.30 am when the women, who were cooks at an ‘anganwadi kendra’ in Stone Park area under Old Chawni Ganga Malanpur locality.
7. *The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully demonstrated its free-space Quantum Communication for a distance of 300 metres for the first time in India. It was demonstrated at the Space Applications Centre (SAC) in Ahmedabad in between the two line-of-sight buildings within its campus*. Quantum Communication technology which ensures the unconditional data security using the principles of the quantum mechanics on the basis of Laws of Physics.
8. *Supreme Court to hear Param Bir Singh's plea seeking CBI probe against Anil Deshmukh on March 24*
9. Five police personnel were killed and 13 others injured as Naxals blew up the bus in which they were traveling in Chhattisgarh's Narayanpur district. The landmine explosions took place between Kanhargaon and Kadenar villages under Dhaudai police station limits.
10. *Maharashtra MP Navneet Rana has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah over a Shiv Sena MP allegedly threatening her after she raised the Sachin Vaze issue.*
11. Former minister-cum-veteran Congress leader Gurnam Singh Abul Khurana, aged about 90, passed away on Tuesday at his Chandigarh residence. He was suffering from age-related and kidney ailment from past some time.
12. *'Chhichhore' wins National Film Award: Kangana, Nitesh Tiwari, fans remember Sushant Singh. Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's Chhichhore, directed by Nitesh Tiwari, was adjudged the best Hindi film at the 67th National Film Awards*
13. *The candidates who took Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission exams 2020 as the state commission has released the admit card for recruitment to the various posts through Combined State/ Upper Subordinate Services (PCS) exam 2020 and Assistant Conservator of Forest (ACF)/ Range Forest Officer (RFO) Services Exam 2020* . The eligible candidates can download their UPPSC PCS 2020 Interview Admit Card from the official website-uppsc.up.nic.in.
14. *The Telangana government on Tuesday (March 23) decided to close all educational institutions from March 24 in the wake of a surge in COVID-19 cases.*
15. *More than 5 crore coronavirus vaccine doses given across India,* milestone achieved on 67th day of COVID-19 vaccination drive.
16. *Delhi government on Tuesdsay (March 23) ordered a ban on gatherings on festivals* like Holi, Navratri and Shab-e-Barat amid the surge in the number of COVID-19 cases.
17. *COVID-19 vaccine for people above 45 from April 1, announces Centre* and stated that registration on the Co-WiN portal for the same would begin from April 1.
18. *Army signs contract for 1.7 mn medals, soldiers won’t have to buy duplicate ones* : Soldiers are awarded medals for gallantry, distinguished service and several key landmarks in their military careers. The army has signed a contract for 17 different types of medals. soldiers were buying medals from the market as the army was grappling with a short supply.
1. *Dubai will host the 4th edition of the WION Global Summit on March 24, 2021, at the Oberoi. The day-long summit will bring together thought leaders and global policymakers from around the world* . External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar will grace the event as Chief Guest. India's envoy to the U.A.E. Pavan Kapoor will deliver the welcome note on behalf of the host nation.
2. *President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi maintained the tradition of wishing their Pakistani counterparts on their national day* . Pak would commemorate the historic 'Lahore Resolution' passed on March 23, 1940 that eventually led to creation of Pakistan within seven years of its adaptation on August 14, 1947.
3. *PM Modi writes to Imran, greets people on Pakistan Day* : India desires cordial relations with Pakistan but an atmosphere of trust, devoid of terror and hostility, is 'imperative' for it, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a letter to his Pakistani counterpart Imran Khan.
4. *The Jal Shakti Ministry has signed a pact with the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and the government of Denmark on March 22, 2021* in order to bring the tap water connections to the 11 water-scarce districts of the Bundelkhand and Vindhya regions in Uttar Pradesh under the Jal Jeevan mission. Main objective of the mission is to provide functional tap connection across Anganwadi centres, Schools, Health centres, GP buildings, wellness centres and community buildings.
5. *The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) which was signed between India and Japan for the bilateral cooperation in the field of water resources.*
6. *India supplied two Mobile Harbour Cranes (MHCs) each weighing 100 tons to Iran yesterday.* Indian Embassy in Iran said.
7. *The four cosmonauts shortlisted for Gaganyaan, India's first manned space mission, have completed their training in Russia, according to an official Russian statement* :The Four Indian Air Force fighter pilots are likely to be potential candidates for the Gaganyaan project.