Today's top news
1. *Govt committed to provide adequate COVID-19 vaccines, says PM Modi as daily cases surge* : In his interaction with governors and lieutenant governors of all states and union territories.
2. *Rajasthan orders 12-hour curfew in all cities starting April 16*: Keeping in view COVID-19 crisis Rajasthan announced a strict night curfew to be imposed from Friday which will come into effect from April 16 till April 30.
3. *Kerala HC restores Muslim women's right to divorce without going to court* : While talaq-e-tafwiz allows the wife to dissolve the marriage if her husband fails to keep his end of the marriage contract, khula allows her to unilaterally divorce her husband by returning his dower.
4. The Union Minister Shri Piyush Goyal recently launched a platform called “eSanta” for marine products. The main aim of the platform is to empower aqua farmers.
5. On April 14, 2021, the Bohag Bihu Bird count began in Assam. The Bohag Bihu Bird count was launched by Bird Count of India (BCI). The BCI is a Non-Governmental Organisation.It marks the beginning of Assamese new year. Bohag is Assamese calendar. The onset of Bohag marks the starting of Rongali Bihu. Rongali Bihu is one of the three most important festivals of Assam. The other two festivals are Kati Bihu and Kongali Bihu.
6. *Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Wednesday said he has tested positive for COVID-19.* He had on Tuesday isolated himself after some officials in his contact tested positive for coronavirus. *Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav and Uttar Pradesh minister Ashutosh Tandon have tested positive for COVID-19.*
7. *'Lockdown-like' restrictions come into force in Maharashtra* : The "lockdown-like" restrictions, which exclude essential services, became operational at 8 pm and will remain in force till 7 am on May 1.
8. Former Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh was on Wednesday questioned for eight hours by the Central Bureau of Investigation conducting the preliminary enquiry on orders of the Bombay high court in connection with the allegations of corruption raised against him by former Mumbai police chief Param Bir Singh
9. The controversial filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma (RGV) has done it again! The motor-mouth director has this time courted trouble by calling the Maha Kumbh Mela has the 'corona atom bomb'. In a series of tweets.
10. *CBSE cancels Class-X exams, postpones Class-XII exams* : The education board to review the situation on June 1; the result of Class 10 will be prepared on the basis of an objective criterion to be devised by the board.
11. *The Himachal Pradesh Government under its Chief Minister Jairam Thakur decided on Wednesday to put off board exams for Class 10 and 12 as well as all undergraduate examinations in the face of rising COVID-19 cases in the state.*
12. *Indian Navy deployed its surface and air assets for the Search and Rescue (SAR) of missing fishermen at sea off the coast of Mangalore.* It was reported that an Indian Fishing Boat 'IFB Rabah' with 14 fishermen embarked had suffered a collision with a Singapore flag merchant ship 'MV APL Le Havre', 40 nautical miles west of New Mangalore at about 0200h on 13 April 21.
13. *In order to tackle the second COVID wave, GMR has adopted multiple initiatives to enhance passenger safety at Delhi and Hyderabad airports.* The platform offers a plethora of valuable features that assist passengers at every stage of their travel.
14. *The government has initiated the process for inviting financial bids for the sale of national carrier Air India and the deal is likely to conclude by September* , The government is selling its entire 100 per cent stake in Air India that has been in losses ever since its merger with domestic operator Indian Airlines in 2007.
1. *United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson has reduced the length of his visit to New Delhi at the end of this month due to the COVID-19 situation in India*
2. Johnson was to spend a few days in India starting April 26 as part of a planned itinerary, which is expected to include finalising a UK-India Enhanced Trade Partnership. However, with the pandemic crisis in India taking a turn for the worse, the itinerary has had to be reworked and the major part of the high-level bilateral interactions, including bilateral talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, are now scheduled to be limited to New Delhi on April 26.
3. *Russia has called India a "welcomed partner" in its efforts when it comes to the Afghan peace process.* Russian envoy to Delhi Nikolay Kudashev at a virtual presser said, “India (is the) closest friend and a trusted partner. Big meeting of minds on the majority of global and regional issues. India is a welcomed partner in our efforts to secure solutions for security and stability and predictability in and around Afghanistan.”
4. *India is in touch with authorities in Pakistan regarding safety of over 800 Indian pilgrims whose visit to the neighbouring country* has been affected by violent protests in several cities, including Lahore.
5. Over 800 Indian Sikhs travelled to Pakistan to attend the Baisakhi festival. The Indian pilgrims had reached Lahore via Wagah border on Monday to attend the festival.
6. The High Commission of India in Bangladesh has temporarily suspended the operations at all its visa centres across Bangladesh.
7. The Vietnam government has launched a high-speed patrol boat built with India assistance, and one more of similar class is in the pipeline. The Vietnamese coast guard had inducted the first India-made patrol vessel in December 2020.