Today's top news
1. In the poll-bound West Bengal, all necessary preparations have been made for the Fifth Phase polling of Assembly Elections to be held today. The polling will be from 7.00 A.M. to 6.30 P.M.
2. Union Minister of Education Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ virtually launched “World 1st affordable and long-lasting hygiene product DuroKea Series”, developed by IIT Hyderabad researchers.
3. The Minister informed that the unique property of DuroKea range is to ensure instant killing (within 60 sec) and prolonged protection which is an immense necessity during this current pandemic situation. This revolutionary antimicrobial property of DuroKea products has been tested and certified by Indian Government accredited lab and field-tested at the IIT Hyderabad campus.
4. India Meteorological Department, IMD has projected that southwest monsoon rainfall over the country is most likely to be normal at 96 to 104% as per the long period average.
5. *The Government of India recently approved Rs 50 crores to develop an all-weather ROPAX in Odisha.* The total cost of the project is estimated to be Rs 110 crores. The project aims to launch Roll-on or Roll-off Passenger Jetty connecting Kaninali in Bhadrak district and Talachua in Kendrapara district. The project will reduce passenger travel time from six hours to one hour. The connecting points of the jetty are located in the northern and southern banks of river Dhamra.
6. *Chandigarh announces weekend lockdown The lockdown will be from 10 pm on Friday to 5 am on Monday; essential services will be allowed*
7. *Strong evidence to prove that the SARS-CoV-2 virus, behind the COVID-19 pandemic, is predominantly transmitted through the air,* according to a new assessment published on Friday in The Lancet journal. The analysis by six experts from the UK, the US and Canada says public health measures that fail to treat the virus as predominantly airborne leave people unprotected and allow the virus to spread.
8. Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa on Friday tested positive for COVID-19 for the second time in eight months and has been shifted to a private hospital for treatment.
9. Popular Tamil comedy actor Vivekh was hospitalised.
10. Telugu film star and Jana Sena Party chief K Pawan Kalyan has tested positive for coronavirus but is now stable, his political secretary P Hariprasad said.
11. *Indian armed forces to build 5G network:* Defence Secretary
The Indian army, navy, and air force are likely to embrace the next generation (5G) technology to bring artificial intelligence (AI) and unmanned vehicles to centre stage in a bid to compete with the most advanced armed forces worldwide.
12. Army turns flags 'blue' from 'red' for people-friendly look in J&K, pictures of achievers on Cantonment walls
Indian Army has changed the colour of flags on its military convoy vehicles to blue from red to make them more population friendly. Similarly, the walls on the Indian Army cantonments are proposed to have pictures of young achievers from Kashmir.
13. *National Investigation Agency arrests Lashikar-e-Taiba recruiter in Kashmir*
A school teacher, who was a recruiter for proscribed Pakistan-based terrorist organization Lashikar-e-Taiba (LeT), was arrested from his residence in north Kashmir.
1. *India to get world’s best Air Defence System S-400 from Russia* ; Check details; Later this year, Russia is going to deliver the first regimental set of S-400 Triumf ‘SA-21 Growler’ air defence systems.
2. *British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will visit India from April 25 and is set to agree a Roadmap 2030' for re-energised India-UK relations across trade and investment and climate action, the Indian High Commission in London said*
3.' *Peaceful Indian Ocean important': Maldives FM; thanks India for support for UNGA prez candidature* : Calling his country as "heart of the Indian ocean", Maldives Foreign minister Abdulla Shahid has called for a "peaceful, prosperous and stable" which is an "essential factor" for the "prosperity of Maldives".
4. France has agreed to join India's Indo-Pacific Ocean Initiative. On paper, the project embraces cooperation on climate change and academic exchanges, but its main purpose seems to be strategic. And it fits into US plans for a growing coalition of democracies, aimed at stemming China's increased assertiveness in the region.
5. *The Indian Space Research Organisation recently signed an agreement with the French Space Agency CNES.* CNES is National Centre for Space Studies. CNES stands for Centre National d’etudes Spatiales. According to the agreement, CNES is to help India in its first Human Space Mission called the Gaganyaan.