Today's top news
1. *PM Modi took a detailed review of current situation of oxygen supply and projected use in the coming 15 days across 12 high burden states* (Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan). An overview of district level situation in these states was presented to the PM.
2. *Assam Minister for Health and Family Welfare Himanta Biswa Sarma Saturday said that COVID neutral certificates from other states would not be accepted* and all air and train passengers on reaching will have to undergo both Rapid Antigen and RT-PCR tests.
3. *UP has imposed a 35-hour 'weekly closure' that has come into place on Saturday 8 pm.* It will remain in effect till Monday 7 am.
4. West Bengal saw 78.36 per cent voter turnout till 6.30 pm in the fifth phase of the assembly election on Saturday.
5. The Maharashtra government has requested the Centre to allow transportation of oxygen cylinders by railway to cut the cost and time.
6. The famous Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia Dargah in Delhi will remain closed till April 30 amid the unprecedented surge in COVID-19 cases in the national capital.
7. At least five persons were killed after a fire broke out in Raipur's Rajdhani hospital on Saturday
8. Noted radiologist and former director of NIMS (Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences), Hyderabad, Kakarla Subbarao dies at 96; awarded Padma Shri in 2000.
9. The Delhi Police has arrested a 35-year-old man for allegedly passing sensitive information about Army deployment to a foreign intelligence agency, The accused has been identified as Harpal Singh, a resident of Tarn Taran in Punjab. He conveyed details related to Indian Army personnel, Army movements, location of Army and BSF posts and bunkers on the outposts of India at India-Pakistan border.
10. *UPSC NDA I Exam 2021 to be conducted tomorrow,* : Union Public Service Commission will conduct UPSC NDA I Exam 2021 on Sunday, April 18, 2021. The examination will be conducted in offline mode across the country in various exam centers. The National Defence Academy exam will be conducted in two shifts- the first shift will begin at 10 am and the second shift will commence at 2 pm.
11. *3-day Indian Air Force Commanders’ Conference 2021 concluded in New Delhi; theme: ‘Reorienting for the Future’*
12. Former CBI chief Ranjit Sinha passes away at 68; also headed ITBP and Railway Protection Force.
13. *What is Double Mutant Corona Virus Variant?*
The National Institute of Virology recently shared a data showing the break up of 361 genome sequenced samples that were collected between January and March 2021.
It is a variant of Corona Virus that carries two mutations namely E484Q and L452R. They have been reported together for the first time in India.
14. India recently became the second most COVID-19 infected country in world. This was mainly due to the double mutant variant as they spread faster. The E484K mutation was found in UK and South Africa. The L452R mutation was found spreading rapidly in California. It reduces the antibody efficacy by more than 50%. This mutation increases the binding power of the spike protein of the virus. This makes the virus more transmissible.
15. Hours after bail, actor Deep Sidhu arrested again over Red Fort violence : The arrest was made on the basis of an FIR filed by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)n connection with Republic Day violence in which protesting farmers desecrated Red Fort and hoist religious flags atop the historical monument.
16. *Vehicles to be colour coded to limit movement in Mumbai* Six-inch stickers will be made available at toll nakas for free.
1. The Himachal Pradesh Police on Friday detected mobile signals from Pakistan after trekkers in Dharamshala claimed that the standard time on their phones changed from IST (Indian Standard time) to PST (Pakistan Standard Time).The Department of Telecommunication was informed for further inquiry.
2. *Nepal, India can resolve all issues through dialogue:* Foreign Minister Gyawali
There is no issue between Nepal and India that cannot be resolved through dialogue, Nepalese Foreign Minister Pradeep Gyawali said.
3.India, Pak Foreign ministers in UAE on separate bilateral visits
While Jaishankar will be in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, Qureshi was in Dubai on Saturday on a three-day bilateral visit. United Arab Emirates confirmed that the country was playing a role in bringing Delhi and Islamabad to the talks table.