Today's top news
1. Every year, the Ayushman Bharat Diwas is celebrated on April 30 in India. The Scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in April 2018.
2. *Government of India suspended the Char Dham Yatra due to surge in COVID-19* . Only the priests are to be allowed to conduct the daily worship and rituals. The Kedarnath is to be reopened on May 17, Gangotri and Yamunotri on May 14 and Badrinath on May 18.
3. *Former Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh (86) was on Friday admitted to cardiac care unit (CCU) at Indira Gandhi Medical College* after being flown in from Chandigarh where he was undergoing COVID-19 treatment at a private hospital in Mohali.
4. Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal Tests Positive For COVID-19
5. *Vaccination of people above 18 years of age, which was supposed to start from May 1, may be delayed as the vaccines have not yet arrived, Karnataka* Health Minister Dr K Sudhakar said.
6. The Rajasthan government will administer COVID-19 vaccine doses to people in the age group of 35-44 years in 11 district headquarters from Saturday.
7. *The Haryana government has imposed a weekend lockdown in nine districts to stem the spread of COVID-19 in the state* , an official order stated. The curfew will be in force in Gurgaon, Faridabad, Panchkula, Sonipat, Rohtak, Karnal, Hisar, Sirsa and Fatehabad districts from 10 pm on Friday till 5 am on Monday.
8. The Uttar Pradesh government on Friday said it will start the first phase of vaccination for the 18-44 age group from Saturday in seven districts that have more than 9,000 active COVID-19 cases.
9. *Television journalist and senior anchor Rohit Sardana died of Covid on Friday* , leaving journalists and others who knew him shocked and heartbroken.
Rohit Sardana was with Aaj Tak and anchored a popular show 'Dangal' that featured debates on current affairs.
10. *The Maharashtra government on Friday announced that it would take back COVID-19 vaccines from private hospitals* and administer these doses to people through state-run health centres only.
11. *The West Bengal government has announced a partial shutdown* in the state amid the massive surge in coronavirus cases. While shopping complexes, beauty parlours, cinema halls, sports facilities and spas will remain shut, markets will be allowed to function for only five hours every day - 7-10 am and 3-5 pm. Restaurants, bars, gyms and swimming pools will remain shut, the state government said,
12. *Bihar chief secretary Arun Kumar Singh on Friday died* because of Covid complications. The senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer was undergoing treatment for the disease at a hospital in state capital Patna.
13. Tribute to veteran lawyer and former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee, who breathed his last on Friday morning. The 91-year-old jurist passed away at a private hospital in Delhi where he was undergoing treatment for COVID-19.
14. The Madras High Court on Friday appealed to political leaders and the party cadres in Tamil Nadu not to go in for celebrations, including bursting of crackers after the announcement of election results on May 2 or 3, citing the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. *the counting of votes polled in West Bengal, Assam, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Puducherry begins at 8 am on May 2*
15. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched a 12-day free online course on Geospatial Technology for Archaeological Studies. The course is offered as an extension of the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) outreach programme. This course will be conducted between 17 May to 28 May 2021
16. *The Delhi High Court suggested that oxygen suppliers could create WhatsApp groups with hospitals on their list so that they can be updated about stocks and supply* schedules. It also said it should be made mandatory for larger hospitals to have oxygen plants.
17. *Armed Forces Get Emergency Financial Powers To Fight India's Covid Crisis* : These new powers will help them operate facilities, procure equipment and resources, and perform any required urgent tasks.
18 . *Navy deputes 57 member naval medical team at Ahmedabad in fight against COVID-19* As part of the Armed Forces' contribution to civil administration in combating the current COVID crisis, a 57 member naval medical team consisting of four doctors, seven nurses, 26 paramedics and 20 supporting staff has been deputed to Ahmedabad
19. *India's coronavirus cases may peak between May 3 and 5, according to a mathematical model of a team of scientists* advising the government, a few days earlier than a previous estimate as the virus has spread faster than expected.
20. *COVID-19 IN INDIA*
Updated on: 01/05/2021
18762976 ▲ 386452
*TOTAL ACTIVE* 3170228 ▲ 85414
*TOTAL RECOVERED* 15384418 ▲ 297540
*TOTAL DEATHS* 208330 ▲ 3647
*A Motivational Article* : Nagpur billionaire businessman Pyare Khan has spent Rs 1 crore (Rs 10 million) to supply oxygen and oxygen concentrators to government hospitals in and around Nagpur. Khan started his business career selling oranges to passengers in trains at Nagpur railway station in 1994. Through sheer hard work and his family's support, soon he graduated to driving an autorickshaw, which he did for six years. In 2004 he bought his first truck. And since then Khan has not looked back.
Three years later, he started his company, Ashmi Road Carriers Private Limited. Today he owns 300 trucks and employs 1,200 people.
His company collects toll at five toll plazas and also owns two petrol pumps. The company transports goods by rail, road and containers. Apart from India, it also does business in Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh with the RPG group.
1. International Labour Day 2021 or May Day is round the corner. The day, dedicated to workers and labourers across the world, is also called the International Day of Workers or International Labour Day. May Day celebrates labourers and encourages them to be aware of their rights. International Labour Day on May 1 is a public holiday in many countries.
2. *The Director General of Civil Aviation on Friday further extended the suspension of scheduled international flights till May 31.* The earlier deadline for flights suspension was to end today. The restriction shall not apply to international all-cargo operations and flights specifically approved by the aviation regulator.
3. *Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and expressed willingness to strengthen anti-pandemic cooperation with India and provide support* and help to deal with the current surge of COVID-19 cases in the country.
4. Japan will provide 300 oxygen concentrators and as many ventilators to India as it stands with its "friend and partner" in its efforts to combat the unprecedented surge in the coronavirus cases, Japan's Foreign Office said.
5. *Indian Navy has launched Operation Samudra Setu-II* to augment the ongoing national mission to meet the country's oxygen requirements. Warships have been deployed to carry liquid oxygen-filled cryogenic containers and associated medical equipment to India amid its worsening COVID-19 pandemic.
6. The Indian Air Force (IAF) airlifted eight oxygen tankers from Singapore to the Panagarh airbase in West Bengal on Friday, Two C-17 aircraft are airlifting eight oxygen tankers from Singapore to Panagarh.