Today's top news
1. *On May 1, 2021, India celebrated four hundredth Prakash Purab of Guru Tegh Bahadur.* He was the ninth Sikh Guru. He was born in Amritsar, Punjab in 1621. He was the youngest son of Guru Hargobind Sahib.
He wrote 115 hymns that were included in Guru Granth Sahib. Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed on the orders of Aurangazeb.
2. *Third phase of COVID-19 vaccination begins* : Everyone above the age of 18 years will be administered the COVID-19 vaccine in this phase. The registration process for this phase is on and over 2.66 crore people have registered on the Co-Win portal so far. The appointments for people aged 18 years and above has also opened at multiple locations.
3. *Counting of votes in Tamil Nadu - along with three other states of West Bengal, Kerala, Assam and the Union Territory of Puducherry - will start at 8 AM on 2nd May. Today*
4. Indian Railway has waived of charges for Covid testing and diet supplied during Covid related hospitalisation for non Railway patients .
5. *Ready To Lead Congress Again?" Rahul Gandhi Was Asked. His Response* . There have been demands by the ''Group of 23'' leaders for early organisational elections and a full-time Congress president.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said he favours internal elections within the party and it will be the workers who will decide who should lead the party and asserted that he will do whatever the party asks him to.
6. *The National Investigation Agency has charged 34 naxalites in connection with the killing of four police personnel in Latehar district of Jharkhand.* The case pertains to the deadly attack on the police pat rolling party by the naxalites on November 22 2019 in which four police personnel were martyred.
7. *The Civil Aviation Ministry on Friday permitted the Telangana government to use drones for experimental delivery of vaccines within the visual line of sight* .
8. Senior Samajwadi leader Mohammad Azam Khan, 72-year-old Rampur MP tested positive for COVID-19 along with 13 other prisoners in Sitapur jail.
9. Delhi lockdown extended by 1 week: tweets CM Arvind Kejriwal.
10. Jailed former RJD MP Mohammad Shahabuddin died of COVID-19 at DDU Hospital on Saturday,
11. BJP MP Gautam Gambhir will now provide 200 oxygen concentrators to those having mild or moderate symptoms of the infection in the national capital.
12. *Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday launched a medical advisory helpline to help those battling Covid-19. call +919983836838 for medical advice."*
13. The Assam government on Friday extended the night curfew till May 7, following a surge in Covid-19 cases in the state. The restrictions on movement of individuals from 8 pm to 5 am were to end on Saturday
14. India Saturday received a shipment of Russias Covid-19 vaccine Sputnik V as the first batch of 1,50,000 doses landed in Hyderabad from Moscow.
15. *The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Saturday announced a policy for tabulation of marks for class 10 board exams* which have been cancelled in view of the COVID-19 pandemic situation in the country. According to the policy, while 20 marks for each subject will be for internal assessment as every year, 80 marks will be calculated on basis of the students' performance in various tests or exams throughout the year. results to be announced by June 20.
16. Days after making an appeal to the government to make education free of cost till graduation for kids who have lost their loved ones to Covid-19, Actor Sonu Sood has yet again requested the government and concerned organisations to come together and make cremation grounds free of cost, enabling people who cannot afford the charges a chance to cremate their loved ones in a proper and respectful manner.
17. Legendary playback singer Lata Mangeshkar has contributed Rs seven lakh to Maharashtra Chief Minister's relief fund to help combat the coronavirus pandemic in the state.
18. Helping the nation in fight against COVID-19, *the Indian Air Force (IAF) carried out 23 sorties from abroad, airlifting 40 oxygen containers,* informed Union Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh.
19. *The Indian Navy has launched Operation Samudra Setu-II* to help in providing assistance in the ongoing national mission for meeting the Oxygen requirements. Under this mission, the Indian Naval warships are going to be undertaking shipment of “liquid Oxygen filled cryogenic containers.
20. *'Co-Jeet' over Covid* : *This is a war, we need to win, says Deputy Chief Integrated Defence Staff* As the younger population of the nation becomes eligible for a vaccination against coronavirus today on Saturday, the armed forces have formulated a plan to aid the inoculation drive and anti-Covid efforts across the nation by providing health requirements of various states --transporting oxygen, ensuring nursing and medical assistance.
1. *Airlines add flights out of ravaged India to bring citizens home*
International and domestic airlines are adding flights out of India to bring home residents and citizens as the nation’s coronavirus outbreak goes from bad to worse. Air India Ltd. plans to increase its weekly frequency of flights to the U.S. to 32 starting May 11.
2. *India extends internation flight suspension till May 31*
Amidst rising COVID-19 cases in India, the country extended the suspension on international commercial flight operations till May 31, 2021. “In partial modification of circular dated 26-06-2020, the competent authority has further extended.
3. US President Joe Biden is sending top American diplomat Daniel Smith as its interim envoy to India amidst the unfolding humanitarian crisis in the country to spearhead close cooperation with it and ensure the two nations continue to advance their shared priorities, including overcoming the Covid-19 pandemic.
4. *Need "Full And Sincere" Disengagement: India To China On Border Issues* India has asked China to ensure "full and sincere" implementation of an agreement between the two nations for complete disengagement from all friction points in eastern Ladakh.
5. *As the second Covid wave ravages the country, the soldiers are sitting tight in Ladakh while monitoring Chinese activity through physical means* besides drones and satellite imagery even as various infrastructure development activities are on to cater to enhanced troop levels and future exigencies.
6. *U.S. okays proposed sale of six P-8I patrol aircraft to India*
The U.S. State Department approved the proposed sale of six P-8I patrol aircraft and related equipment, a deal estimated to cost $2.42 billion. In November 2019, the Defence Acquisition Council, chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, approved the procurement of the long-range maritime.
7. *The Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Russian President Vladimir Putin recently agreed to establish “2+2 Ministerial Dialogue* ”. The “2+2 Ministerial” dialogue is held between the defence ministers and foreign ministers.
8. *The countries had earlier set a trade target of reaching 30 billion USD of trade by 2025.* The dialogue will help them achieve the target. Previously, the countries agreed to establish the International North-South Transport Corridor, cooperation at the Eurasian Economic Union and Chennai-Vladivostok Maritime Corridor. The Astronauts shortlisted for the Human Space Flight Programme of India were trained by Russia. The Nuclear Power Plant that is being built in Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu is built with Russian Cooperation. India recently approved Russia’s Sputnik V. It is the third vaccine to be approved in the country after COVAXIN and COVISHIELD.
9. India holds similar dialogues with US, Australia and Japan.
Russia is the first non-QUAD member with which India is to hold the dialogue. In 2021, President Vladimir Putin is to visit India to hold the India-Russia bilateral summit. The summit is alternatively held in India and Russia.
10. Israelis will not be allowed to travel to Ukraine, Brazil, Ethiopia, South Africa, India, Mexico and Turkey.
11. *Colonel Inderjit Singh has been promoted to a Brigadier General, making him the senior most ranking serving Sikh in the Malaysian armed forces.* On 16 April, he took over as the commandant of the Army Senior Officers Institute based in Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan. The one-star general is the only serving Sikh general in the Malaysian armed forces at this juncture. He is also the fifth Sikh to make it as general in the history of the Malaysian Armed Forces.