Today's top news
1. *Ruling parties likely to retain power in Assam, Kerala & West Bengal; Opposition Parties to form govts in Tamil Nadu & Puducherry*
2. *PM Modi congratulates Mamata Banerjee for her party's win in West Bengal assembly elections.*
West Bengal Election Result 2021
CM Mamata retains Bengal but loses in Nandigram
3. *The Trinamool Congress has demanded recounting in Nandigram* constituency from which Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had stood, alleging a number of illegalities in the vote counting process.
4. *The Prime Minister also thanked the people of Tamil Nadu who supported NDA* . He also congratulated DMK chief M K Stalin for the victory in the Tamil Nadu assembly elections saying they will work together for enhancing national progress. He assured the people of the state that they will keep working towards the state’s welfare and to further popularise the glorious Tamil culture.
*Tamil Nadu -234*
5. *PM Modi also congratulated Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan* and the LDF for winning the assembly elections. He said they will continue working together on a wide range of subjects and to ensure India mitigates the COVID-19 global pandemic.
6. *Puducherry : 30/30*
7. *Assam -126*
8. *Jharkhand Mukti Morcha’s candidate Hafeezul Hasan, son of late Minister Haji Hussain Ansari won the Madhupur by-election in Deoghar district* defeating his nearest rival from Bhartiya Janta Party’s Ganga Narayan Singh by 5247.
9. Assam: APCC President Ripun Bora resigns from the post of state party president post
10. *Railway Ministry has deployed nearly 4 thousand isolation coaches with almost 64 thousand beds in order to strengthen the capabilities of the nation in fight against Covid.*
11. Madhya Pradesh Congress MLA Brijendra Singh Rathore died while undergoing treatment for COVID-19 at a private hospital on Sunday.
12. Government on Saturday said that 30 industries have been identified in the country where existing Nitrogen manufacturing plants will be converted into oxygen manufacturing Plants.
13. Railways has delivered 1,094 tonnes of Liquid Medical Oxygen so far to various states across the country.
14. *Himachal to seize undeclared Oxygen cylinders* : The district administration has told all private hospitals, traders and individuals to declare the number of oxygen cylinders in their possession within the next 24 hours, failing which action would be taken against them.
15. North Block appointed T Rabi Sankar, executive director of the Reserve Bank of India as the fourth deputy governor of the central bank.
16. The Haryana Government on Sunday declared a seven-day lockdown from May 3 to contain the rapid spread of COVID-19 in the state.
17. *Not more than 2 to be allowed in cars, negative COVID test report must for entering Punjab* :The Punjab government on Sunday ordered that non-essential shops will continue to remain closed in the state till May 15 as it came out with additional restrictions.
18. *In AndhraPradesh Government announces to postpone the Intermediate examinations, taking High Court recommendations into consideration*
19. *Delhi University has decided to postpone the final year examinations in view of the prevailing COVID-19 crisis* .
20. *Actor bikramjeet kanwarpal dies at 52 from covid-19;* Bikramjeet Kanwarpal was an Indian film and television actor. A retired army officer, Kanwarpal had played supporting roles in many films and television serials. Kanwarpal shared screen space with actor Anil Kapoor in 24. He died from COVID-19 on 1 May 2021, at the age of 52.
21. Indian coast guard rescues missing tamil nadu fishing boat ‘mercedes’ 370 kms from lakshadweep islands.
22. *ITBP officials visited Sardar Patel COVID Care Centre in Delhiís Chhatarpur* to meet patients and examine ground arrangements. 400 patients are presently admitted at the centre.
1. *Covid-19: India gets first batch of 1.5 lakh doses of Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine* : The vaccines will be delivered to Hyderabad-based Dr Reddy’s Laboratories, which has joined hands with Russian Direct Investment Fund to produce the vaccine in India. The Drugs Controller General of India on April 13 had granted permission to Sputnik V vaccine for restricted use in emergency situations.
2. *External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar will be visiting London from 3rd May to 6th May to participate in the G7* Foreign Ministers Meeting. He will thereafter undertake a bilateral visit to the UK.
3. *PM Narendra Modi will hold a Virtual Summit with the PM of the UK, Boris Johnson on Tuesday* : A comprehensive Roadmap 2030 will be launched during the Summit, which will pave the way for further expanding and deepening India-UK cooperation over the next decade.
4. *France detects first case of Indian COVID-19 variant,* three French nationals found infected
A first case, involving a woman who travelled to India and is living in southwestern France, was confirmed