Today's top news
1. The swearing-in of Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee as chief minister at Raj Bhavan on Wednesday morning will be a low-key programme given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
2. Chief ministers of other states and leaders of other political parties have not been invited for the programme keeping in mind the current COVID-19 situation in the country.
3. In the Union Territory of Puducherry, the BJP will be a part of the coalition government,
4. Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam president M K Stalin was on Tuesday unanimously elected as legislature party leader and he is to be sworn-in as chief minister of Tamil Nadu on May 7.
5. Sporadic post-poll violence continued on Tuesday in West Bengal claiming several lives as chief minister Mamata Banerjee asked officials to act decisively and Prime Minister Narendra Modi rang up Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar to express anguish over the law-and-order situation.
6. A decision on the next chief minister in Assam is yet to be taken though two days have passed since the Bharatiya Janata Party-led alliance won the assembly election and the state chief of the saffron party said on Tuesday that either incumbent Sarbananda Sonowal or senior minister Himanta Biswa Sarma will head the next government.
7. *Bihar imposes lockdown till May 15* : The decision was made at the meeting of the Crisis Management Group presided over by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
8. Uttar Pradesh announced that it would extended the COVID-19 induced curfew in the state by another 48 hours. it was decided that the curfew that was to end on May 4 would now be extended until May 6 7 am.
9. Former Jammu and Kashmir governor Jagmohan passed away after a brief spell of illness.He was 93. Jagmohan was appointed Jammu and Kashmir governor in 1984 and completed his five-year tenure.
10. DrJitendraSingh Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh appealed to all eligible employees of 18 years and above to get themselves vaccinated at the earliest.
11. The Union Minister of Petroleum Shri Dharmendra Pradhan flagged off the first supply of used cooking oil-based biodiesel. It was launched under the Expression of Interests Scheme. It mainly aims to create a system for collection and conversion of Used Cooking Oil into biodiesel.
12. Bollywood actor Deepika Padukone has tested positive for the novel coronavirus and is currently in Bangalore with her family. Earlier, it was reported that Deepika's father, Prakash Padukone, mother Ujjala, and sister Anisha, had tested positive for the deadly virus. More details about Deepika's health are awaited
13. *The Indian Army launched the first Green Solar Energy harnessing plant in Sikkim.* It was launched to benefit the troops of the Indian army.
14. *Fight against COVID-19: IAF, Navy deploy assets to carry critical equipment; US promises more aid*
Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy continue criss- crossing across the globe and the country in an effort to bring in Oxygen tankers as well as critical life support equipment. Sharing updates on the sorties undertaken by the transport aircraft
15. Indian Air Force to set up 100-bed COVID-19 care facility in Bengaluru
With the alarming rise in COVID-19
16. Encounter breaks out between security forces and militants in Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla
on Tuesday, Security forces launched a cordon and search operation at Nathipora in Bomai area following information about the presence of some militants in the area, a police official said.
1. *PM Modi and Rt Hon’ble Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom held a Virtual Summit*. India and the UK enjoy long standing friendly ties and share a Strategic Partnership underpinned by mutual commitment to democracy, fundamental freedoms and the rule of law, strong complementarities and growing convergences.
2. *Indian envoy at UN condemns terrorist attack in Afghanistan's Logar province*
TS Tirumurti, Ambassador of India to UN on Monday condemned the terrorist attack in Logar province of Afghanistan in which at least 21 people were killed, including high school students, and more than 100 civilians suffered injuries.
3. *China Undertaking Special Recruitment Drive For Ethnic Tibetans mid Border Standoff With India*
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, in their first in-person meeting, discussed ways to deal with the rampaging COVID-19 pandemic, situation in the strategic Indo-Pacific region and cooperation in multilateral forums.
5. *SpiceJet airlifts 2,450 oxygen concentrators from Nanjing, Hong Kong: SpiceJet has airlifted 2,450 oxygen concentrators from Nanjing and Hong Kong,* A B737 aircraft of the airline lifted oxygen concentrators from Hong Kong and landed at the Delhi airport
6. US Air Force flights that were scheduled to leave for India with essential life-saving supplies have been delayed till Wednesday due to maintenance issues.
7. The Ministry of Finance recently cut the IGST on import of oxygen concentrators for personal use to 12%. Earlier it was 28%. IGST is Integrated Goods and Services Tax. The decision was announced by the Central Board of Indirect taxes and Customs.
8. India has been pressing the United Kingdom to extradite Mallya and Nirvan Modi to face trial in India for their alleged involvement in cases relating to financial fraud. Mallya has been based in the UK since March 2016 and remains on bail on an extradition warrant executed three years ago by Scotland Yard.