Today's top news
1. *The Tamil Nadu cabinet led by Chief Minister MK Stalin was sworn in yesterday* . The state Governor Banwarilal Purohit administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr Stalin and his 33 other cabinet colleagues at a function held at the Raj Bhavan lawns in Chennai.
2. *Mr. N. Rangasamy was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Puducherry by the Lt. Governor of Puducherry Dr. Tamilisai Soundararajan yesterday.* He is the 20th Chief Minister of the Union Territory.
3. *Haryana Government has launched Ayurvedic telemedicine facility for Corona patients.* Health Minister Anil Vij said that any patient can consult the Ayurvedic Doctors on phone by dialling *1075* .
4. *Railways deliver over 2960 tonnes of Liquid Medical Oxygen across country* : PicsIndia has administered over 16 crore 71 lakh doses of Covid-19 vaccine in the country so far. These include over 95 lakh 19 thousand Healthcare Workers who have taken the 1st dose and more than 64 lakh Health care workers who have taken the 2nd dose, over one crore 38 lakh Frontline Workers have taken the 1st dose and more than 76 lakh front line workers have taken the 2nd dose.
5. Delhi govt mandates compulsory 14-day institutional quarantine for people arriving from Andhra Pradesh, Telangana.
6. *The Telangana Government recently imposed a total ban on Glyphosate* . The Glyphosate is a controversial herbicide usually use to kill weeds in cotton farms. The usage of Glyphosate is banned because it is carcinogenic. Also, it is being banned to control the illegal cultivation of HTBt cotton.
7. *In Kerala, complete lockdown will be imposed from till the 16th of this month.* However, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has assured that the essential services will not be disrupted during the lockdown.
8. *Karnataka to be relocked from May 10-24* amid COVID-19 surge, bans intra-state travel, caps guests at weddings to 50.
9. *Manipur imposes total curfew in 7 districts from May 8,* : Curfew will come into force in the districts of Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur Thoubal, Kakching, Churachandpur and Ukhrul. However, the government has allowed "permitted activities" which includes healthcare, essential services and goods vehicles. Imphal airport shall also remain open.
10. The Chandigarh Administration on Friday said that the weekend lockdown will continue from 5 am on Saturday till 5 am on Monday. However, morning walk would be allowed this Sunday between 6 am to 9 am. Shops of essential items will be open till 2 pm only for home delivery, people cannot go out.
11. PM Modi has expressed condolences over the passing away of senior journalist Shesh Narayan Singh. Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar also has expressed condolences over the demise of veteran journalist Shesh Narayan Singh. The journalist succumbed to COVID-19 at a hospital in Greater Noida.
12. An activist and spokesperson Riju Dutta has registered an FIR against the Bollywood actress for allegedly spreading hate propaganda and inciting communal violence in West Bengal. He alleged that Kangana had intended to malign the image of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banarjee.
13. As Uttar Pradesh government extended the lockdown in state due to the ongoing second wave of coronavirus, it is being speculated that the upcoming Class 10, Class 12 board exams maybe postponed.
14. The Indian Army has set up a 'COVID management cell' to ensure better coordination in extending support to civil authorities across the country to deal with surging cases of coronavirus infections.
15. *J-K: Terrorists Hurl Grenade at Security Forces in Nawa Bazaar Area of Old Srinagar*:
Terrorists on Friday hurled a grenade at security forces in the Nawa Bazaar area in Jammu and Kashmir's Old Srinagar city, the police informed. More details are awaited. The grenade attack comes a day after three Al-Badr terrorists were killed while one surrendered before security forces during an encounter.
16. *Border Roads Organisation, BRO celebrated its 61st Raising Day yesterday* . BRO is a leading road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence with a primary role of providing road connectivity in the border areas. It executes road construction and maintenance works along the Northern and Western frontiers primarily to meet the strategic requirements of the Army and is responsible for over 60 thousand Kilometres roads. The BRO was formed on 7 May 1960 to secure India's borders and develop infrastructure in remote areas of the north and north-east states of the country.
17. *Mother's Day 2021: ,* Mother's Day will fall on Sunday (May 9): Mother's Day is dedicated to all the moms who are your first teachers and help a child move towards his goals. You take your first baby steps into this world by holding your mother's hand. She is your first guide, mentor, and friend—teaching you about worldly things and what not! This day is dedicated to all the mothers/motherly figures in your life, so as to make them feel special and loved! Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May in most countries, however, there are places where it falls on a different month and date. This year, Mother's Day will be celebrated on Sunday, 9 May. Tomorrow.
1. PM Modi spoke on telephone with Hon Scott Morrison MP, the Prime Minister of Australia. Prime Minister Modi conveyed his appreciation for the prompt and generous support extended by the government and people of Australia for India’s fight against the second wave of COVID-19.
2. *Fight against COVID: Bangladesh sends Remdesivir Injections* ; Op Samudra Setu continues: As part of Dhaka’s promised medical help to India, Bangladesh Deputy High Commissioner Towfique Hasan handed over 10,000 Remdesivir vials to the Indian authorities. These were handed over at the Indian border port of Petrapole.
3. *A flight carrying medical supplies arrived in the national capital from Netherlands on May 07.* It is the first shipment from Netherlands that carried 449 ventilators, 100 oxygen concentrators and other medical supplies. “Over the coming days, remaining medical equipment would be shipped.
4. *Chinese airlines agree to resume drug imports to India* : Providing major relief to the Indian pharmaceutical sector, the Chinese authorities have agreed to resume the suspended air cargo operations to help India import vital key starting material (KSMs) and active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) with over two-thirds of dependence on China.
5. *India has welcomed US support for relaxation in the norms of the agreement on TRIPS to ensure quick and affordable access to COVID vaccines and medicines for developing countries.*
6. UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres honoured Indian UN Peacekeeping officer Yuvraj Singh, who died in line of duty in 2020, during the UN annual Memorial Service 2021. In a tweet, Permanent Representative of India to UN, TS Tirumurti saluted Singh’s valour and contribution, and conveyed condolences to the family.