Today's top news
1. *BJP leader Himanta Biswa Sarma, was on Monday sworn-in as the 15th Chief Minister of Assam by Governor Jagadish Mukhi at the Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra, a major cultural institution, in Guwahati.* 13 other newly-elected legislators of the saffron party and alliance partners were sworn-in as ministers amid strict COVID-19 protocols.
2. *Centre takes several initiatives to enhance availability of oxygen,* streamline distribution and strengthen its storage infrastructure in country.
3. Oxygen availability has been enhanced by increase in Production Capacity and production, setting up of Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) Plants, import of Liquid Medical Oxygen (LMO) from Overseas and Procurement of Oxygen Concentrators. For enhancing tanker availability to streamline transportation, Nitrogen and Argon tankers have been converted, tankers and containers have been imported, domestic manufacturing of tankers increased and rail and air transportation of tankers is being undertaken to reduce turn-around time.
4. *Retired AFMS doctors come forward and extended their support to needy patients in Rajasthan on e-Sanjeevani*
5. *Several bodies, decomposed, bloated and suspected to be of people who succumbed to COVID-19, were on Monday found floating in the river Ganga in a Bihar district*. In another incident, local residents in Hamirpur district spotted five bodies floating in the Yamuna, creating a scare that these were of COVID patients, an apprehension dismissed by the authorities.
6. *The Delhi high court on Monday granted bail to Jawaharlal Nehru University student Natasha Narwal,*
a Pinjra Tod activist, (Break the Cage) founded in 2015 to make hostels and paying guest accommodations less restrictive for women students. She arrested last year in May in connection with the communal riots in north-east Delhi to perform the last rites of her father who succumbed to COVID-19. The court granted the relief as her brother is also infected with COVID-19 and the state did not oppose the plea.
7. *The Congress Working Committee which met yesterday to discuss party’s reverses unanimously decided to postpone the elections to the AICC organisation and for the post of party president.* The CWC resolved to respond to Covid as a unit and also discussed the electoral losses of Congress.
8. Complete Lockdown in Bengaluru from May 10: Strictly follow COVID-19 guidelines, top cop urges people.
9. Puducherry has become the ‘Har Ghar Jal’ Union Territory by ensuring that every rural home gets a household tap connection. Puducherry has now become the fourth state or UT after Goa, Telangana and Andaman and Nicobar Islands to provide assured tap water supply to every rural home under Central Government’s flagship programme, Jal Jeevan Mission, JJM.
20. Raghunath Mohapatra, nominated Rajya Sabha MP from Odisha and eminent sculptor, dies at the age of 77 in Bhubaneswar
12. The West Bengal CID has summoned six CISF personnel who were on duty at booth number 126 in Jorpatki in Sitalkuchi assembly constituency where four persons were killed in a firing by the central forces personnel during voting.
13. Military Engineer Services (MES) has extended the last date to register for the recruitment of Draughtsman and Supervisor. Interested and eligible candidates can apply after checking the official website of MES at https://mes.gov.in/. The last date to apply for these posts has been extended to May 17 midnight from April 12 scheduled earlier. The recruitment drive is being conducted to fill 572 vacancies, out of which, 458 vacancies are for Supervisor, and 114 are for Draughtsman.
The tentative date for the written examination is June 20
*Age limit* : Candidates must be between 18 to 30 as of the closing date of the online submission of the application form.
14. 970 Electric Detonators Recovered In J&K's Ramban, Case Registered.
15. *Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh today announced ex-gratia of Rs 50 lakh and a government job to the next of Kin of Havildar Amritpaul Singh from 31 Field Regiment who laid down his life in the line of duty.* He was on a patrol when he lost his balance and slipped into Siyom river Near Village Manigong in Arunachal Pradesh on April 8, this year and was found dead on 7th of this month.
16. After Telugu actor Allu Arjun, Tollywood's Tarak Jr NTR has tested positive for COVID-19. The actor who was recently shooting for his forthcoming film RRR, took to his social media handle to share the news with his fans and well-wishers.
1. *World’s largest cargo plane, carrying Covid aid from UK, lands at IGI airport* : carrying three oxygen generators and 1,000 ventilators from the UK. Experts said the aircraft, Antonov AN 124-100, had flown into the country even in the past to deliver Delhi Metro wagons
2. *Vistara to start non-stop flights between Delhi and Tokyo* Authorities said that the airline will fly once a week between the two capital cities under India’s travel bubble agreement with Japan. The airline will use its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft with a three-class cabin configuration to serve the route.
3. *Indian Naval Ships deployed for COVID relief Operation 'Samudra Setu II’ arrive with LMO and associated medical equipment* : Indian Navy brings large amount of medical supplies from abroad* : Three Indian Navy warships are bought to India on Monday 80 tonnes of liquid oxygen, 20 cryogenic oxygen tanks, 3,150 cylinders and a large amount of other medical supplies from abroad as the country reels under a severe second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.
4. The United States (US) based aerospace and defence major Boeing’s India unit is set to build a 200-bed ICU hospital in Uttar Pradesh (UP)’s Gorakhpur district to help augment the State’s capacity to cope against the surging fresh cases of COVID-19