Today's top news
1. *Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses 'Mann Ki Baat':* Covid-19 has been the biggest pandemic in the last 100 years and during this very pandemic, India has confronted many a natural disaster with fortitude.
2. *His address also spoke of the massive second wave of the pandemic that has hit India and the effort and resolve it took to take India’s oxygen production and supply from 900 metric tonnes to 9,000 metric tonnes in a matter of days*
3. PM also said that, people who led rescue and relief work deserve more appreciation than can be expressed. I salute all of them. My heart goes out to all people who have lost their near and dear ones.
4. *The Ministry of Labour and Employment has announced additional benefits for workers through ESIC and EPFO schemes to address the fear and anxiety of workers about well-being of their family members due to increase in incidences of death due to COVID -19 pandemic.*
5. *Oxygen Expresses deliver more than 21392 MT of LMO to the Nation* : Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country.
6. *Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative (IFFCO) will launch Nano Urea in the market next month.* 500-ml Nano Urea, which costs 240 rupees, is equivalent to 45kg of normal urea. Besides reducing the cost of cultivation, it increases the yield.
7. A Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) has been installed onboard ALH Mk III from INAS 323 at INS Hansa by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
8. The Serum Institute of India (SII) has informed the government that it will be able to manufacture and supply 9-10 crore doses of Covishield in June. This development assumes significance in the light of the shortage of vaccine doses with state governments leading to halting the vaccinations in several parts of the country.
9. *Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur on Friday announced that shops and other business establishments would remain open for five hours from 9 am to 2 pm for five days a week from May 31.*
10. Maharashtra on Sunday extended the lockdown imposed in the state by another 15 days, saying coronavirus cases are are on the rise in some districts, especially the rural areas.
11. *J&K issues fresh COVID curbs, education institutions to remain shut till June 15*
12. Union Ministry of Culture said on Sunday, due to the COVID19 pandemic situation, all the centrally protected monuments/sites and museums under the Archaeological Survey of India shall continue to remain closed till 15 June 2021 or until further orders.
13. *Govt asks private TV news channels to display four new helpline numbers* of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare -1075, child helpline number of the Ministry of Women and Child Development-1098, senior citizens helpline of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment- 14567(in Delhi, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand) and helpline number of National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS) for psychological support - 08046110007
14. *Indian Army has invited applications for Short Service Commission (SSC) Officers to fill up 191 posts.* : Unmarried men and women, as well as widows of defence personnel can apply for the vacancies at the official site of Join Indian Army on joinindianarmy.nic.in.
15. *COVID STATUS*
27894850 ▲ 165553
*TOTAL ACTIVE* 2114520
*TOTAL RECOVERED* 25454350▲ 276312
1. *Bangladesh has announced extension of the land border closure with India for two more weeks till June 14 in view of the ongoing Covid situation.*
2. China indulged in a fresh blame game with India after it reported that the mutated COVID virus strain from India was detected in 26 people in Guangzhou province.
3. The holding of the ceasefire between Indian and Pakistani armies along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir for the last three months has contributed to a feeling of peace and security and it is the first step towards a long road of normalisation of ties between the two countries, Chief of Army Staff Gen M M Naravane has said.
4. *Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan said on Sunday that Pakistan would hold talks with India if New Delhi restores the pre-August 5, 2019 status of Jammu and Kashmir* . India abrogated the special status of Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370 on August 5, 2019 and bifurcated it into two Union territories