Today's top news
1. A five-member Congress panel on Tuesday submitted its assessment on the party's losses in the just-concluded assembly elections to party chief Sonia Gandhi, and put forward several recommendations and suggestions to strengthen the organisation.
2. *Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Tuesday gave his nod to a notification to fix the price in private hospitals treating COVID-19 patients* . Taking cognisance of the exorbitant fees charged by private hospitals to treat Corona patients.
3. Guwahati Jail becomes first jail of Assam to administer 1st dose of COVID vaccination to all inmates.
4. *Home ministry issues notice to Alapan Bandyopadhyay under Disaster Management Act* : The row between the Centre and the West Bengal government intensified after the Union home ministry served a show-cause notice to the state's former chief secretary Alapan Bandyopadhyay under a stringent provision of the Disaster Management Act that entails imprisonment up to two years. The officer has been asked to reply within three days to the notice.
5. Bandyopadhyay, a 1987-batch IAS officer who was due to retire on May 31, was given an extension of three months and days later asked to report at the Centre. However, Banerjee announced his retirement on Monday and appointed him as the chief advisor to the state government. According to Section 51 (b), whosoever refuses to comply with any direction given by or on behalf of the central government or the state government or the National Executive Committee or the State Executive Committee or the District Authority under this Act, shall on conviction be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with fine, or with both.
6. The Bombay high court on Tuesday directed a private hospital in Mumbai not to discharge Hany Babu, a Delhi University associate professor arrested in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case, till June 3.
7. The Jammu and Kashmir Police on Tuesday filed a chargesheet against senior PDP leader Waheed-ur-Rehman Parra in a case related to the alleged nexus between politicians and terror groups in the union territory.
8. *AP Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy instructed officials to initiate measures for the completion of Rs 15,743 crore Agri Infra Fund projects in the stipulated period.* The government has recently allocated Rs 31,256.55 crore in the budget for various agri-related schemes.
9. *Senior Advocate Mahesh Jethmalani has been nominated to the Rajya Sabha.* He is the son of a renowned lawyer Ram Jethmalani who was also a Rajya Sabha member. Besides, Mahesh Jethmalani, President Ram Nath Kovind nominated Swapan Dasgupta. He had resigned from the Upper House in March this year after the BJP fielded him as a candidate in the West Bengal Assembly elections. He has been renominated to the Rajya Sabha. The nominated members are drawn from fields such as arts, literature, science, sports and social service.
10. Director General of Indian Council of Medical Research Prof. Balram Bhargava expresses hope that entire population of country will be vaccinated by end of December.
11. *The Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations on Tuesday decided to cancel Class 12 board examinations this year in view of the COVID-19 situation,* It was decided that the CBSE will take steps to compile the results of Class 12 students as per a well-defined objective criteria in a time-bound manner.
12. Tamil Nadu's Director of Elementary Education said on Tuesday that students of Class 1 to 8 in all schools under the state board have been promoted for the academic year 2020-21.
13• *Two Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) were defused in Awantipora’s Panzgam and Saimoh Tral in Pulwama district of Kashmir on Monday.* the police and security forces spotted the second IED in an orchard.
14. Lt Gen Ajai Singh takes over as 16th Commander-in-Chief, Andaman & Nicobar command of the Armed Forces, based at Port Blair. A fifth generation Army as well as Cavalry/Armoured Corps officer, with family service of over 162 years since September 13, 1858, Lt Gen Ajai Singh is an alumnus of The Lawrence School, Sanawar and NDA & IMA.
15• *Lieutenant General Pradeep Chandran Nair on Tuesday took over as the Director General of Assam Rifles* , India’s oldest paramilitary force. Assam Rifles provides security to the northeastern region and has a diversified role ranging from security to providing welfare.
16• *Vice Admiral Ravneet Singh, Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM), and Nausena Medal (NM) holder, assumed charge as the Deputy Chief of Naval Staff* . According to the Defence Ministry, he was commissioned into the Indian Navy on July 1, 1983.
1. *China has started sharing hydrological data on Brahmaputra and Sutlej rivers, an annual exercise of giving information on these two water bodies to India* . India and China have signed an agreement under which Beijing shares hydrological data with New Delhi.
2. The Brahmaputra originates from Tibet and flows into Arunachal Pradesh and Assam and later drains into the Bay of Bengal through Bangladesh.
3• Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, in a telephonic conversation with his Australian counterpart, Peter Dutton, reviewed the defence cooperation between the two countries against the backdrop of the current situation.
4. *India, Russia to hold Indra-2021 drills in August in southern Russia* : Indra-2021, the Indian-Russian joint drills of 500 armed forces servicemen of each country will run on August 1-15 this year at the Prudboi practice range in the Volgograd Region in southern Russia.
5. Ahead of the BRICS Foreign Ministers’ meeting, China said on Tuesday that it looks forward to exchanging views, coordinating positions and building up consensus with other members of the five-member bloc on the most urgent issues of common concern.
6. The biggest tranche yet of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine of nearly 3 million doses landed in Telangana from Russia early on Tuesday.