Today's top news
1. *Punjab Congress, state Chief Minister Amarinder Singh arrives in Delhi to meet 3-member AICC panel on Friday* . The panel constituted by Congress president Sonia Gandhi to resolve factionalism in the Punjab unit comprises Kharge, former Uttarakhand chief minister Harish Rawat and former MP J P Aggarwal.
2. *Health Ministry has finalised arrangements with Hyderabad- based vaccine manufacturer Biological-E to reserve 30 crore of COVID-19 vaccine doses* . These vaccine doses will be manufactured and stockpiled by M/s Biological-E from August to December this year. For this purpose, the Union Ministry of Health would be making an advance payment of 1,500 crore rupees to M/s Biological-E.
3. *PM Modi will chair the meeting of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, CSIR Society at 11 am* . The Society is part of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research under the Ministry of Science & Technology. Its activities are carried out through 37 laboratories and 39 outreach centres spread across India.
4. *PM Modi interacts with students and parents to address their worries at CBSE virtual session* . He interacted with students and their parents yesterdayday and asked them how they felt after hearing about cancellation of Class XII exams.
5. *Maharashtra government has launched “Corona-free Village Competitions” which is an interesting route to ensure all Covid-19 precautionary norms are followed in villages of state.* Under this competition, three villages will be awarded prizes up to ₹50 lakh. This competition will encourage to take measures to curb spread of Covid-19. First prize is ₹50 lakh, second is ₹25 lakh and third is ₹15 lakh. There are a total of six revenue divisions in Maharashtra. Thus, 18 prizes will be given with total prize money of ₹5.4 crore.
6. *Karnataka extends ongoing lockdown till June 14th.*
7. *Maharashtra's U-turn on unlock: Lockdown restrictions to continue in state* : The Uddhav Thackeray government's clarification on unlock in Maharashtra came hours after Wadettiwar held a press conference and unveiled the details of the unlockdown in half of the state, i.e. 18 of the 36 districts, from June 4.
8. *The second LDF government led by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in Kerala is all set to present the state budget today.*
9. Food Processing Industries Minister Narendra Singh Tomar today virtually inaugurated the Indus Best Mega Food Park at Tilda block of Raipur district in Chhattisgarh.
10. *The Government decided to extend the validity period of Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) qualifying certificate from 7 years to lifetime with retrospective effect from 2011* . The announcement was made by Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank'.
11. A total of 17 pilots of Air India, IndiGo and Vistara died due to COVID-19 in May when the country saw the peak of the coronavirus pandemic's second wave.
12. GMR Airports-run Delhi and Hyderabad airports have been felicitated by the Airports Council International (ACI) Asia-Pacific Green Airports Recognition 2021 for their environment sustainable initiatives. The award was decided by a distinguished global panel that highly praised DIAL’s Green taxiing initiatives at IGI Airport based on TaxiBots. This is the fifth consecutive year where DIAL has been appreciated and awarded for its sustainable initiatives.
13. *Indian Army will end the registration process for SSC Officers post today, June 4, 2021* . Candidates can apply online through the official site of the Indian Army on joinindianarmy.nic.in.
14. *Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari has been appointed as the next Vice Chief of Air Staff in the Air headquarters* .Two new commander-in-chiefs would also be moving for their new assignments as Director General Air Operations. Air Marshal Ballabha Radha Krishna would be succeeding Chaudhari at the Western Command in Delhi while Air Marshal RJ Duckworth would be taking charge of the Central Air Command in Prayagraj.
15. The Ministry of Defence on Thursday signed a contract with Mahindra Telephonics to procure 11 airport surveillance radars for the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard. Installation of these radars will increase the air domain awareness around airfields and enhance safety and efficiency in flying operations of the Navy and the Coast Guard.
1. *US Vice President Kamala Harris on Thursday spoke to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and informed him about the United States' global allocation plan of the first 25 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines* . Apart from PM Modi, Harris spoke to Mexico President Andres Manuel Lpez Obrador, Guatemala President Alejandro Giammattei and Prime Minister Keith Rowley, Chairman of the Caribbean Community.
2. *Indian Council of Medical Research, ICMR has approved second home-based Rapid Antigen Test kit named “PanBio COVID-19”* . This test kit was developed by Abbott Rapid Diagnostics Division, Chicago.
3. *India and United Kingdom have launched a new workstream to promote industrial energy efficiency* . The workstream was launched under Industrial Deep Decarbonization Initiative (IDDI) of Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM). 12th CEM is being organised by Chile in virtual mode. It was started on May 31 and will conclude on June 6.
4. *India and Germany held bilateral consultations on UN issues yesterday via video conference.* Vikas Swarup, Secretary (West) led the Indian delegation along with officials from the UN and Europe West Divisions of the Ministry and the Embassy of India in Berlin.
5. Foreign Secretary Harsh V Shringla has said that India is working with several other countries in the World Trade Organization on a targeted and temporary waiver under TRIPS to ensure timely and secure access to vaccines for all. He said, India is also looking forward to World Health Organization’s approval for India’s indigenous vaccine Covaxin manufactured by Bharat Biotech