Today's top news
1. *The Govt is committed to provide free of cost COVID-19 vaccine to everyone.* Vaccination coverage will be expanded from the upcoming 21st June & will be provided to the people aged above 18 years.
2. India's cumulative COVID vaccination coverage crosses 27.20+ crore mark on 154th day of the drive.
3. Telangana Cabinet to take call on unlock today.The ongoing lockdown from 6 pm to 6 am will end on Saturday (19 June).
4. In Andhra Pradesh only night curfew from June 20: Chief M minister of AP Jagan Mohan Reddy held a review meeting on Covid situation and vaccination progress, and decided to relax the curfew from 6 am to 6 pm after June 20 in all districts.
5. J&K Lieutenant Governor, Manoj Sinha approves proposal of recruitment of 800 Sub Inspectors in J&K Police. The selections to the posts will be based on written and physical tests.
6. Maharashtra’s Public Works Minister Ashok Chavan met Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, seeking that the proposed Mumbai-Hyderabad bullet train be also run via Marathwada.
7. *Indian Railways approved 660 more trains in June as the demand increased.* As of today, about 983 Mail and Express trains are being operated. With the flattening of Corona curve, Indian Railways is enhancing the number of special trains to facilitate the traveling public.
8. Air India has announced the sale of its properties located across India. The e-auction comes as a precursor to the disinvestment of India's national air carrier. The divestment process is expected to complete this year.
9. Petrol crosses Rs 100 in Bengaluru - 3rd metro after Mumbai and Hyderabad
10. Temples, other places of worship won't reopen soon in Kerala: Devaswom Minister K Radhakrishnan said.
11. The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has decided to re-impose the weekend lockdown in the city to check the spread of Covid-19. PMC has announced that all non-essential shops will remain shut during the weekends.
12. PM Modi launched ‘Customized Crash Course programme for Covid 19 Frontline workers’ via video conferencing. The training programme would be conducted in 111 training centres spread over 26 states. About one lakh frontline workers will be trained in this initiative.
13. PM Modi to Chair All-Party Meeting With J&K Leaders in Delhi On June 24(Thursday).
14. *A woman Naxal was killed on 18 June (Friday) in a gun-battle with security forces in a forest near Chandameta-Pyarbhat villages of Bastar district, Chhattisgarh @ 8am* : Joint teams of security forces were out on an anti-Naxal operation. Three weapons & a huge amount of Maoist camping material recovered from the encounter site.
15. Veteran Malayalam poet-lyricist S Ramesan Nair passes. who wrote songs for over 150 Malayalam films and dozens of devotional albums. He was suffering from cancer and had recently tested positive for Covid-19. He was 73 yrs.
16. *Assam education department cancels class 10th and 12th Board Examinations due to prevailing COVID situation.* State Education Minister Dr. Ranuj Pegu said.
17. *Born today* *Sir Ahmed Salman Rushdie* (born 19 June 1947) is a British Indian novelist & essayist. His 2nd novel, Midnight's Children (1981), won the Booker Prize in 1981 & was deemed to be "the best novel of all winners" on two separate occasions, marking the 25th & the 40th anniversary of the prize.
18. *Born today* : Rahul Gandhi (19 June 1970) is an Indian politician and a member of the Indian Parliament, representing the constituency of Wayanad, Kerala in the 17th Lok Sabha. A member of the INC, he served as the President of the Indian National Congress from 16 Dec 2017 to 3 July 2019.
19. Air India Express on 18 June operated the country's first international flight with fully Covid-19 vaccinated crew. The flight IX, 191 operated from Delhi to Dubai.
20. The Indian Army has invited applications for recruitment to the posts of officers under the *NCC Special Entry Scheme (Indian Army Recruitment 2021).* Eligible male and female candidates, who want to apply can make registration online by visiting the official website of the Indian Army, joinindianarmy.nic.in. The registration process will conclude on July 15, 2021.
21. Seven Indian Navy pilots were awarded the prestigious "Wings" by Vice Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh, Flag officer, Commanding in Chief Eastern Naval Command at the passing out parade on 18 June. The graduation of the 96th Helicopter Conversion Course was held at the INS Rajali Air Base Arakkonam. A total of 752 pilots of the Indian Navy, Coast Guard as well as from friendly foreign nations have undergone training at the Helicopter Training School, Rajali.
1. *Indian Embassy in Beijing will organize International Day of Yoga celebrations on 20 June (Sunday)* . Around 500 people will participate in the event.
2. The govt of India is actively engaged with Dominica to seek early deportation of fugitive diamond merchant Mehul Choksi & handover him to India after hearing by Dominican magistrate court. The case is regarding his alleged illegal entry of into the Caribbean island nation.
3. *India denies attack claim on Sri Lankan fishermen by Indian Navy* : India on Friday rejected as "blatantly false" the local media reports about the Indian Navy's alleged assault on a group of Sri Lankan fishermen, saying no such incident has taken place.
4. Pakistan foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has sought to absolve the Taliban for the high levels of violence in Afghanistan & accused India of *carrying out terrorist activities* from Afghan soil.
5. China, following a pushback from G-7 & India on the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), appears to soften its approach on the connectivity initiative by balancing infrastructure projects with environmental impact.
6. Bangladesh is enthusiastically preparing for the forthcoming International Yoga Day on June 21. Despite the COVID 19 pandemic, which has put restrictions on public gathering and movement.
7. India & Bhutan on 18 June inked an MoU for developing cooperation between two countries in the area of environment. It was signed virtually by Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar from the Indian side and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Chairperson of the National Environment Commission Lyonpo Dr. Tandi Dorji from the Bhutan.
8. Indian Naval Ship Trikand, mission deployed for Anti-Piracy Operations, is participating in the maiden IN – EUNAVFOR Joint Naval Exercise in the Gulf of Aden on 18th and 19th June 2021.. The 2 day exercise will see high tempo-naval operations at sea, including advanced air defence & anti-submarine exercises.