Today's top news
*HAPPY YOGA DAY*
1. The 7th International Day of Yoga will be observed today. The main theme of International Day of Yoga, 2021 is - *Yoga for Wellness*, PM Modi will address the nation
@ 6.30 AM on all Doordarshan channels, the event will also include a live Yoga demonstration from the Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga.
2. The Kerala state will celebrate International Yoga Day through various virtual events based on the theme 'Be at Home, be with Yoga'.
3. *India will begin its free COVID-19 vaccination drive for population above the age of 18 years from today, June 21.*
4. *Uttar Pradesh announces relaxations in lockdown restrictions from today.* As per new orders shopping malls and restaurants will be allowed to operate with 50 per cent capacity on weekdays till 9pm.
5. Few States of India, Tamil Nadu (till June 28), Uttarakhand (1 week from June 22) & Haryana (till June 28) govts on Sunday (20 June) announced the extension of Covid-19 lockdown in their states, with a some relaxation of curbs.
6. The Odisha govt plans to begin a massive vaccination drive against COVID-19 from today (21 June). The state aims to vaccinate about 3 lakh beneficiaries per day.
7. The Delhi Govt has allowed the reopening of bars, public parks and gardens from today (21 June) under a phased easing of restrictions imposed due to the second Covid wave.
8. Former Punjab Police inspector general (IG) Kunwar Vijay Pratap is likely to join the AAP in Amritsar today (21 June). AAP chief and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal will in Amritsar to induct the ex-cop into the party.
9. Maharashtra became the first state in the country to cross the landmark of administering 20 million vaccine doses since the drive commenced on January 16.
10. Kashmir valley railway stations, including Srinagar, integrated with rail public Wi-Fi networks.
11. Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) faction led by Chirag Paswan yesterday held party's national executive meeting in New Delhi. Mr Paswn said, that members were present at the national executive meeting condemned & opposed the use of LJP's symbol and name by expelled members.
12. *Born Today:* Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman VrC (born 21 June 1983) is an Indian Air Force officer. In the 2019 India-Pakistan standoff, he was held captive for 60 hours in Pakistan after his aircraft was shot down in an aerial dogfight. He was conferred the Vir Chakra gallantry award in August 2019.
1. Today Yoga Day will be observed in about 190 countries globally.
2. Seventh International Day of Yoga was celebrated at Indian Embassy in Beijing with great fervor yesterday. More than 500 people including many Chinese yoga enthusiasts and diplomats gathered at India House to participate in the event.
3. India will host a 2 days summit on Green Hydrogen Initiatives starting Tuesday (22 June- 23 June) involving the BRICS nations. The prestigious event offers a platform to share their respective Green Hydrogen initiatives & views on how to take it to the next level in their own countries. The online event will be anchored by India’s largest power producer & one of the global energy majors, NTPC Ltd.
4. India has dismissed criticism of its new IT rules relating to social media by three UN special rapporteurs on rights issues saying the country's democratic credentials are well recognised & the right to freedom of speech & expression is guaranteed under its Constitution.
5. *Born Today*: General Hastings Lionel Ismay, 1st Baron Ismay (21 June 1887 – 17 December 1965),
British army officer and diplomat, 1st Secretary General of NATO. He was remembered primarily for his role as Winston Churchill's chief military assistant during the 2nd World War & his service as the first Secretary General of NATO from 1952 to 1957. *Ismay was born in Nainital, India, in 1887* , and educated in the United Kingdom at the Charterhouse School and Royal Military College, Sandhurst.