Today's top news
1. J&K leaders arrive in Delhi to attend PM’s all-party meeting. 14 leaders, including 4 ex-chief ministers of J&K, invited for an all-party meeting with PM Modi on the Union Territory on June 24.
2. Congress president Sonia Gandhi will decide on the Punjab Govt & party revitalisation by July 8-10, AICC general secretary in-charge of the state Harish Rawat said.
3. Assets worth Rs 9,371 crore belonging to fugitive businessmen Vijay Mallya, Nirav Modi, Mehul Choksi have been transferred to state-run banks, who suffered losses, on account of the fraud committed against them. Total assets worth Rs 18,170.02 crore has been seized by the Enforcement Directorate so far, 80% of which is the the total bank loss.
4. Union Cabinet on 23 June approved allocation of additional foodgrain under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, Phase IV for another period of five months from July to Nov 2021. Under it, 5 Kg foodgrains per person per month free of cost will be given to the beneficiaries covered under National Food Security Act .
5. National COVID-19 vaccination coverage crosses 29.46 crore mark; Recovery rate reaches 96.56%
6. Around 40 cases of the Delta Plus variant, classified as a variant of concern (VOC), have been detected sporadically in Maharashtra, Kerala and Madhya Pradesh, the Union Health Ministry said.
7. In Bihar RJD Leader of Opposition Tejashwi Prasad Yadav asked LJP leader & Jamui MP Chirag Paswan to join him, reminding him how Lalu Prasad had helped Ram Vilas Paswan get nominated to the Rajya Sabha in 2010 when LJP had no MP or MLAs.
8. Delhi Dy CM Manish Sisodia said that the Central govt in a letter said it has “rejected” a “proposal” for doorstep delivery of ration in the city and attacked PM Modi for it.
9. The weather forecast for today says, the National Capital Delhi is likely to have strong surface winds during daytime. The temperature will hover between 28 & 40 degrees Celsius.
10. The Karnataka govt on 23 June set in motion the process to conduct the Secondary School Leaving Certificate Examination or the 10th standard examination in third week of July by releasing the standard operating procedure (SOP) for teachers.
11. Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College & General Hospital, popularly known as Sion Hospital has thanked Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan for providing critical infrastructure worth almost Rs 1.75 crore, including class 1 ventilators
12. An unidentified terrorist gunned down in encounter between terrorists and security forces at Shirmal area of Shopian in J&K
13. Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is set to back in action.
Defence sources said that new missile, a variant of Agni-I, will be flight tested from a defence facility off Odisha coast between June 28 - 29. Initially christened as 'Agni Prime', the missile will have a strike range of 1000 km to 1500 km.
14. Four theatre commands likely to be raised by year-end. The four commands planned are air defence command, maritime theatre command, integrated eastern theatre command and integrated western theatre command. Chief of Defence Staff Gen Bipin Rawat held extensive deliberations with the Vice Chiefs of the three services and senior officials of the defence ministry to iron out differences on setting up of theatre commands.
15. It was expected that PM Modi would make an announcement on the creation of the commands, which would be the biggest reorganisation of the Indian armed forces since Independence, and the commands were likely to be raised by year-end.
1. The Indian Navy will get three MH-60 Romeo helicopters in July this year, out of 24 MH-60 “Romeo” multi-mission heavy-duty helicopters, these are equipped with multi-mode radars & night-vision devices as well as armed with Hellfire missiles, MK-54 torpedoes and precision-kill rockets, it was the Rs 15,157 crore
contract inked with the United States.
2. Indian Navy and Indian Air Force (IAF) are participating in a Passage Exercise with US Navy’s Carrier Strike Group (CSG) Ronald Reagan which is transiting through Indian Ocean Region (IOR) from June 23-24, 2021.
3. India is pushing for a comprehensive ceasefire in Afghanistan amid a massive spike in violence in that country and reports of its contact with the Taliban for the first time in the backdrop of a renewed push for the Afghan peace process.
4. Russia is offering the Indian Army a comprehensive upgrade of the Dragunov sniper rifle in service with almost all frontline battalions, with a demonstration planned next month.
5. Last week, the Border Security Force arrested a Chinese national identified as Hun Junwei close to the Bangladesh border in Malda.Investigations so far have revealed that he was involved in cyber fraud and alleged acts threatening national security. He also said that several agencies of China are trying to hack various websites of the Indian govt including those under the Ministry of Defence. He was possessing an Indian identity card and Aadhaar card with him.
6. Pakistan continues to “provide pensions to dreaded and listed terrorists” and host them in its territory, India said at the United Nations. The remarks were made by Pawankumar Badhe, first Secretary, Indian Permanent Mission in Geneva at the 47th Session of the United Nations Human Right Council (UNHRC).
7. Air France to commence Paris-Chennai weekly flight from June 26 under air bubble pact.
8. India reaffirmed its commitment towards eliminating educational inequalities at G20 Education Ministers meeting held in Italy virtually. Addressing the meeting, Minister of State in the Education Ministry Sanjay Dhotre reiterated the country’s commitment towards reducing and eventually eliminating educational poverty, inequalities and early school leaving.